Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 22, 2011

What Farm Kids Do For Play

Gosh, we have really lucked out with the weather we've been having here in northern California.  Spending time outside is a definite must.  Today we headed down to the calf barn to see what we could find.

The thing about kids is, they can easily find things to entertain themselves that don't involve toys.  Actually, I think they may prefer it that way.

After checking in on Emma & Brittney, I wanted to sit in the warm sun for a little bit to warm my bones.  So I found the nice stack of alfalfa near the calf barn and planted my behind down while the kids took turns riding the gate.

No toys required. 



















They could have easily played this game for an hour, or maybe two.




Later, when I asked both Bryce and Paige what they were thinking about as they were going for a ride on the gate, they answered:

Bryce: "I was thinking about how much fun I was having!"
Paige: "I was thinking, I needed to trim my toenails." 

Well, with this gorgeous, sunny weather, I can't say that a thought similar to Paige's hadn't crossed my mind as well, but mine was in the form of painting toenails.


How was your Saturday?  Did you do anything fun?
Getting ready for the big games tomorrow?!


Pin It

7 comments:

JeffFowle said...

My son has been enjoying the past few days of sunshine as well; can't get out the door quick enough. Climbing the hay stack, throwing sticks with the dogs and climbing on the logs we're sawing.

Nice post :-)

Suzie Salmon said...

I cleaned the sundeck and lower patio by the pool in foolish anticipation that the sun will shine in Vancouver in January :) Hopeless dreamer, I am! BTW, I would love to swing on those gates now, let alone how much fun that must be for kids. Very cool life you all have goin' on!
Suzie

The Weaver of Grass said...

I agree with you that farm kids are never at a loss for things to do. My farmer husband always says that if they didn't 'look' busy when they were kids their mother would find them a job to do!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Jeff, we have been so fortunate this winter in CA, haven't we?! I'm lovin' the weather:)

@Suzie, well there's a few more days left in January, here's hoping for some sunshine for you in Vancouver!

@Weaver, I like your mother-in-law's idea!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, Love it! My boys are much smaller than yours, so they're favorite game is jumping (or pushing each other) off small square hay bales. They can do it forever and it's funny to watch visitors' kids look at them like they're crazy, and then wind up playing along!

Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog, and I am loving it. I grew up a dairy kid, 55 years ago, in Chino, California. I have so many memories that are returning as I go through your blog!!! My favorite past time as a small child was riding the pasture gate. I thought I was big stuff!!! I thank you for sharing, and bringing this city bound dairy girl some memories!!! Jo Allen

Nancy-the wife of a dairyman said...

@jo allen, thank you for stopping by& saying hi. I'm so glad to hear some of my stories are bringing you fond memories from your past!