Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 26, 2011

A Gate Left Open......

Why is it that these situations only seem to happen when:
a) Dominic's not home,
b) I'm in a hurry,
c) I'm late,
d) I was already driving out of the yard,
e) did I mention Dominic wasn't home?

A gate left open leads to a heifer taking advantage of it because we all know that the grass is always greener, lusher and longer on the other side of any fence, right?

I spot her from my car in the driveway....oh dear! I wonder how many others have already taken advantage of this situation.  The very real potential of 45 heifers and cows meandering into my yard and trampling my lawn and plants is a situation that has happened in the past.




Thankfully only one other had made it to the hill directly behind our house.  Okay, I can do this.  I can handle two cows on my own.  I'll just creep around, up the slippery grass hill in my workout tennies putting the cows between me and the open gate and hopefully they'll just turn in the gate's direction and walk back through.



It worked.  I was thankful.  The most difficult part was latching the tight gate.  After 5 minutes, I had it conquered, with a newly tweaked back and















a ripped finger to show for my efforts. 














I was headed to the gym for this great new 'F.I.T.' class but the tweaked back changed my plan to the Stair Master instead.  I got off easy at the gym that day.   


Pin It

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Its always the most inconvenient times. We had a pen of Jersey bulls get out one night when it was pouring rain, with lightning flashing and thunder roaring. My husband took off in the pickup and I found them behind the house. Someday I'll write up how I got them all in before he got back. Glad your injury wasn't worse with chasing cows.

Rebecca said...

Thank goodness they didn't run! Cows can be so slow sometimes to move until the realize they're where they are not suppose to be than its tails in the air and udders flying!

Anonymous said...

Cows, and other large critters, have a knack for getting out and about where they shouldn't be...especially if you are late and not in the mood!

Chasing cows in may be some of my most vivid memories of farm life...

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@fleming4716, okay, if the bull got out, I'd be running for cover! You're much braver than I!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

You are such a Dairy Farm Queen- Good job N!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it ALWAYS happen then? I've gotten a cold because the cows got out while I was in the shower and I had to chase down ALL the milk cows (about 40) and stop them from running down the road with a wet head (in February).
Good on ya for getting the girls back in! I'd rather take on a herd than one or two heifers as they tend to get silly when they're alone.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@MilkMaid09, you're a tried and true dairy farmer!.... I haven't had the experience rounding up an entire herd yet......and hopefully that opportunity will not present itself to me ;)

Weekend Cowgirl said...

I had one entire group get out of one pasture last month. As I was driving up some nice neighbor was herding them back in for us! I think they have magical powers!

Jena Betley said...

At least you had tennies on. Last time I chased heiers in was in 2" heeled dress boots in the snow

Pat Tillett said...

And that my friend, is why you ALWAYS keep a pair of work gloves in your vehicle.
gloves and a camera! you have the camera end coverd...