Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 9, 2010

The Best Brownies

As most of you know, I volunteer at Bryce's school a couple times a month to teach the K-1 class cooking.  I was thinking of doing something healthy this time.....maybe something with fruit, because Bryce loves fruit.  I asked Bryce what he thought of my idea and if he had any requests.

"Brownies!" he says.

So, brownies it was!  You don't have to ask me twice.


Can you believe, I have never made brownies from scratch before?!  So I went to my trusty Pioneer Woman's website and found this delicious recipe:
Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen Best Basic Brownie recipe {full recipe at bottom of this page}

I will probably NEVER make brownies from a box again.  There, I said it.
These brownies were not only absolutely delicious but they were super simple too!

I am just amazed sometimes at how much better things are when you make them from scratch.  You can almost taste every ingredient in these brownies....the creamieness of the butter, the sugar, just enough salt and of course the cocoa.  Oh so good!

Here's how it all went down.........


Only three students out of the five for today.
Note to self: work on cracking eggs with the class.




This recipe is so easy.  After melting the butter, you just add all the ingredients in one bowl and mix by hand.....or hands.











Best Basic Brownie


Ingredients:

• 1 cup butter
• 2 cups white sugar
• 4 whole eggs
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2/3 cup cocoa powder
• 1 cup flour
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. baking powder


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray non-stick spray on a 9 x 13 pan.
Melt butter. Remove from heat and add ingredients in the order listed, stirring well by hand.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake.
Cut with a plastic knife {best brownie trick}.


Happy Saturday!

Pin It

6 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Almost every single time I leave your blog, I leave hungry...

Anonymous said...

I read a recipe today that was brownies with small diced pears in them, it sounded very good but I think I would dice cherries in them as I think choc and cherries are great together. How many are in his class? A small class is a real plus for cooking.

Kathy said...

So can't wait to try these out. I need a good from scratch brownie recipe as the boxed brownie mixes are just ugh.

The Weaver of Grass said...

How can i have a happy saturday when those brownies are over with you and I am over here.

Maureen Bligh said...

I made these brownies over the Thanksgiving weekend. Everyone raved! My husband said they are 10 times better than box brownies. I posted the recipe on Meals Matter website, Best Basic Brownies.

Apani said...

I just found your blog!
This brownies look dense and decadent!
I’m trying them out hopefully very very soon!
Indian Vegetarian Food Recipes