Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 2, 2010

Cooper's Hawk~ A Frequent Ranch Visitor

I was finally able to capture a decent shot of a frequent ranch visitor.  A Cooper's Hawk.  As Paige and I were driving up the hill to our house in the middle of the day, this guy was perched on the T-post waiting for something to capture himself.  Or maybe, he too was fooled by the Flipping the Bird Decoys that are still sitting upon the fence.

Well, whatever the reason, I was glad to have my camera laying in the passenger's seat ready to go.  This guy is really big.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  I wish I had a gotten a little closer.


















But this is as close as I could get before he flew off.
This is also one of the reasons we would go outside with Chloe at night for her last potty break of the day.  She has been circled by a few of these as well as the resident barn owls on more than one occasion.




A little later in the afternoon, we found a grasshopper on one of Bryce's boots.  Now, I'm not usually keen on picking up crawly things but when I was a kid I would catch grasshoppers all day long growing up in Penngrove.  I thought it was so much fun.  And I haven't done it since, until this day.  And it was just as fun!



I wanted Paige and Bryce to experience the feeling of holding a grasshopper....Paige went for it, Bryce did not.



 And this is how we ended the day......yet again.



 Happy Saturday!


Pin It

4 comments:

Joe said...

Awesome pics of the hawk! It really does look like big one.

ann said...

I am glad we get to share the earth with these birds. They are amazing

The Weaver of Grass said...

There's nothing like a bit of good old honest mud to make children happy. Love the hawk.

The Wife said...

I'm afraid it was a hawk that got Cactus Jack.

Your kids would have loved my Saturday adventure. It was all about mud. They even had a kid's course.