Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 15, 2010

Flipping the Bird

Living on a ranch, observance is key.  With all the wildlife, tractors, bulls, delivery trucks and such coming and going at any given time, it's a priority. 

I'd like to think I'm an observant person.  Or have become one in the past few years.  And I am most of the time.  Driving out, off the ranch or coming back home, I usually survey the landscape in search of wildlife I might be able to spot, such as, deer, owls, bob cats, mountain lions, hawks, etc.  I pride myself in noticing and finding different forms of wildlife, and recognizing the species of bird, mostly so I can photograph it.

For a few days I had been observing  some dove that had been hanging out, perched on our fence near the commodity barn.  I wanted to share with Dominic that not only had these birds been hanging out for a few days on the fence, but just how observant I had become over the past few years.  I am a ranch wife now after all.  We notice these types of things.  I was quite proud.



"Nancy, you do know that those are decoys, don't you?" says Dominic.

"Ummm...."

"One of them is even flipped upside down." he says.  Now, he wasn't mocking me, he would never do that.  He was just passing along the correct information.

"Well that would explain why they haven't moved" I said.

And that's all I said.

And that's how observant I've become over the past few years.  Humility is good once in a while....right?

Then I turned, and walked back up the hill to the house.........



and preceded to make myself one of these.


Not to change the subject or anything, but these are GOOD!

I'm not a big iced tea fan, but this is now my cocktail of choice.  It's Sweet Tea flavored vodka and when you mix it with lemonade.......it delicious and refreshing.  The Hard Arnold Palmer is what I call it.



It hit the spot.




Happy Sunday!
Pin It

7 comments:

Katie said...

Oh I am laughing with you Nancy. It sounds like something I would do and say. And I would LOVE to try a Hard Arnold Palmer! Happy Sunday to you.

Dana Gustafson said...

Ha ha! I get caught in these kinds of "observant" things all the time...glad I am in such fine company! I'd like to think we are too busy noticing the happiness of our children than to actually realize that the dove decoy hasn't moved in DAYS! Fine share!

Alexandra said...

Even your glasses make me jealous.
I must have a talk with the man upstairs about the little bitty mix up at birth...

Tracy @ The Chameleon's Backbone said...

I love the title of this post and the upside-down decoy. You made me laugh today, so THANK YOU!

maryelizabethroche said...

Thanks so much for the laugh!!
I've often thought my neighbor's wrought iron deer was the real thing. The sad part is, I've had that thought more than once ; )

M.E.

Robin @ Blommi said...

You never fail to crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy: I just found this gem and forwarded to my friend John, who grew up on a dairy ranch in Illinois. He and his mom love your ranch blogs!
Cindy Rogers