Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 25, 2010

Indian Summer and Southwestern Chicken Tacos

Indian Summer. Okay, I know that it’s technically still summer but since the kids have already gone back to school {my kids haven’t yet, but most have}, that’s what we {I} call it in northern CA when it’s hot in late August and into September and October. I should have seen it coming because it almost always coincides with the first days of school.

Dominic says to me, “You complain when it’s only 70 degrees in summer and you complain when it’s 98 degrees, I thought you’d be happy with this heat.”

I would be happy with this heat if we had a gradual progression to it. But most of the summer our highs here, have only reached into the 70’s. It was beginning to feel a lot like fall. I was looking forward to soups, hot tea, baking, you know, the things we do in the fall. But noooo, our 70 degree weather had to jump straight to 98 degrees yesterday and today was even hotter.

What’s one to do in this heat? Well if you’re me, you blow up the kiddie pool and fill it with cold water. You try not to melt. You try not to become cranky {this one was difficult for me}, and you drink plenty of cold beverages.

Later in the day, I ventured out to see if I could find any signs of life.

This grasshopper wasn't about to move from the water gun floating in the kiddie pool he was perched on.  This photo is not zoomed in.


This little swimmer was found in the kiddie pool.  I have no idea what it is and how it got there.  Is it a fish?  Is it a bug?  Is it a combination of both?  All I know is that it can stay under water for a very long time and it swims like a fish.

At 7 p.m. in the shade, the thermometer read this....


Later, for dinner I wanted to make something simple that I didn’t have to turn on the oven for. I searched the pantry, and since I shop at CostCo and you can only buy corn tortillas in packages of 3000, I wanted to include those in my decision.

I decided on Southwestern Chicken Tacos.

Here's what you need {plus the chicken I forgot to include in the photo}.


Cut chicken up into one inch pieces.  In a skillet or a large pot, combine chicken, taco seasoning, corn, salsa and water.  Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes covered.  Add black beans, rice and bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

I layer spinach on my corn tortilla and then place the chicken/rice mixture on top and then top with cheese.


This was so easy to make!  It only took about 20 minutes on stove top.  And of course you can add any toppings you like, such as avocado, more salsa, sour cream, etc.





Hope you enjoy the recipe! {see below}

I leave you with the beautiful moonrise we viewed from our house after dinner last night.
















Southwestern Chicken Tacos

1 lb. of chicken, cut into one inch chunks
1 package of taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup salsa
1 3/4 cups water
1 can of corn
1 cup of brown instant rice
1 can black beans
Shredded Mexican cheese and any other topping you may enjoy.

In a pot or skillet, combine chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, water and corn.  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and let simmer, covered for 5 minutes.  Stir in the rice and black beans, bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.  Stir and serve with corn or flour tortillas!  Enjoy!

Happy Wednesday! Pin It

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures and fantastic looking recipe! Aren't we funny about the weather here, it's never quite right! But, I think the tomatoes might finally be ripening:-)

Dana Gustafson said...

Hot hot HOT! Was it hot or what??? Thank goodness we are back to something a little more normal tomorrow. And your tacos look super yummy!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hi - I popped over from Kate at Country Girl because I am also the wife of a dairy man, although we lost our herd in the Foot and Mouth epidemic of 2002 here in the uk and we have not gone back into milk since then - keeping only beef cattle, sheep etc. and being semi-retired. Call in and see me sometime. Nice to see your herd on the header.

Anonymous said...

Those tacos look so good! Is the chicken raw or already cooked when you put it in the skillet? Do you drain the canned corn or include the liquid in the can? Thanks! :)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@anonymous The chicken is raw when I put it in and I do drain the corn of liquid before putting it in.....you can also use frozen corn if you would like:) Thanks for visiting:)

Kathleen von Raesfeld said...

Great recipe Nancy! Many thanks! That bug in question is what we call a "water bug". Sometimes they get in our pool if the chlorine level is too low and they bite! They can not only swim but they can fly so when I fish them out with the net, they are hard to catch, the fly out of the net and back into the pool so I have to be quick and step on them on the concrete to kill them. So strange?!?

That moon was dazzling last night - great photo over the lake. Looks like we are cooling off today - whew!