Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 17, 2010

Tips on How to Survive a Visit to the Calf Barn

It's true, when you hang out at a calf barn, anything can happen and any non-clothed body part is viewed as an open opportunity to a calf.


I wanted to take some snapshots of Paige feeding the calves on this afternoon.

 

I was concentrating on getting a good shot ........

and practicing with my camera settings and all,


when I was totally taken by surprise by this little girl..............


who completely startled me by grabbing a hold of my elbow with her mouth as I was in the process of snapping the above photos.  I just turned the camera towards the calf, without looking through the view finder and began snapping photos.

 

Give them an inch and they take a mile.  I let her suck on my elbow for a little, until she really became disturbed that nothing was coming out.  She then became more and more aggressive until I could begin to feel her teeth.....not a good feeling on the elbow funny bone.

 
So if you ever get a chance to visit dairy, or a calf barn, here are some tips you may want to remember:
Tip # 1:  Never take a shower before you visit a calf barn, because you will definitely need one afterwards.
Tip #2:  Never visit a calf barn immediately after exercising because you may be mistaken for a salt lick.


Tip # 3:  Never allow a calf to suck on your ring finger {self explanatory}.
Tip # 4:  Always carry a calf bottle with you so your other body parts aren't mistaken for udders.
Tip # 5: Never leave dangling equipment unattended {such as cameras hanging from your person}.

And on a serious note,

Tip # 6:  Never walk between a calf and her mother {unless you want to feel the excitement of being charged at by a 1,500 pound animal}.


Happy Tuesday!
Pin It

9 comments:

messingashley said...

I love this post! The pictures are great and the tips are hilarious.

Heather (Heather's Dish) said...

sooooooooo i know they're calves and all, but i call them baby cows and i kind of have a song for them. i am bookmarking this post for the cuteness factor :)

Cindy said...

Love it... too cute!

maryelizabethroche said...

Great pictures!
I love her spotted snout!!

Katie said...

The photos are superb and tips are spot on. I also love that Paige has all those hair clips in hair, keeping her hair away from the calves.

x said...

Love this post. It took me back to my experience with a bull calf on my grandfather's farm years ago! Thanks!

The Wife said...

Too cute! Great advice!

Pat Tillett said...

Grat post and photos Nancy!

Sherry said...

Too funny!! I just got to bottle feed a calf for the first time this spring. It was an experience to say the least, because after I was done I had a hard time getting out without the calf trying to suck on me.

Anywho here's an idea for lunch. If your son likes peanut butter make peanut butter sandwiches with Ritz crackers. My boys love them!! Also here's a thread you might enjoy: http://www.circleofmoms.com/recipe-swap/Lunch-ideas-571337?trk=thd_from_update#post_3418671