Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 23, 2010

Ag in the {new} Classroom

Yesterday we attended the Petaluma High School Agriculture Department Open House to celebrate the opening of the newly renovated and upgraded Agriscience classroom.

Petaluma Mayor, Pamela Torliatt along with Petaluma's Ag Advisor, Kim Arntz and newly hired Ag teacher, Mike Touchstone begin the ribbon cutting ceremony just outside the renovated classroom.


Snip.



At one time, this classroom was the boy's gym locker room.





My assistant, Bryce, helping me by taking additional photos.

Mayor Torliatt also presented Petaluma FFA's International Champion Dairy Judging Team with a certificate from Senator Mark Leno commending them on their accomplishment.

You can read all about their journey in one of my previous posts titled, "The Scotland Adventure".

Sam Cheda, Rocco Cunningham, Mandy Brazil, Kelli Carstensen & Mayor Torliatt


You can't have an Ag open house {or any open house} without food and there was plenty of that!


Delicious sausage.

A platter of local cheeses from the Petaluma Creamery.



For some reason I ended up with about 100 photos of brownies.

Also in attendance was David Rabbitt, who is currently running for Sonoma County Supervisor.

This is the high school that both Dominic and I attended and it's always fun to go back for a visit to see what changes have taken place.

These are the type of the things students can learn to build in an Ag class and oh, how I would like to have this BBQ!  Maybe Bryce will build one for me in 10 years when he's in high school.....let's hope he'll have the opportunity if he so desires and these Ag classes will still be around at that time. 
Happy Monday!
Pin It

8 comments:

Maru Whitmore said...

That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear of a new Ag classroom. Best wishes and may it be very successful! Even if children do not go into farming themselves they will have the chance to work in an ag-related job if the interest is in them. Taking pictures of the brownies looked like fun!Love your taste in clothes by the way!(I have a bluse just like yours) LOL!

Maru Whitmore said...

meant blouse of course!

Anonymous said...

I live in a farming community and the schools offer a lot of ag classes here. I am so glad to see the students being able to get involved in these classes. The classes have flower and produce sales when there gardens and crops come in, we always enjoy these things.

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing and glad to see Mr. Touchstone as a new Ag Teacher. He will be a great asset to the program.

Dana Gustafson said...

Wow! The new ag classroom looks so shiny and new! Great things happen in the ag department and I too hope it's still around for my girls when they get there in a few years.

An Authentic Life said...

HEY! I love seeing good old PHS and PT - The Mayor!!! Love it!
Nancy, I have to tell you how funny.
Sexy Hubby says to me, "Did you read Wife of a Dairyman today. Pam's in there." Then he says, "Do you know her (meaning you) she's kinda hot!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought, I can't wait to tell Nancy!!!!
Keep it up g-friend!!!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Maru-I'm not in the photos....that's Kim the Ag Advisor I believe you're talking about:) Thanks for visiting!

Katie-I thought about you when I saw Pam on Sunday:)

Tamara Dawn said...

How fun!! The lady who found my mom for me was from Petaluma. I always wanted to visit there! The food looks amazing, esp those brownies =p