Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 8, 2010

Fresh Milk Straight From the Cow

There is almost nothing better than waking up on a foggy, Sunday morning by the smell of coffee brewing and knowing there's fresh milk, straight from our cows waiting to be poured into that coffee cup.  All that rich, creamy goodness is such a treat!


I have to say, if we didn't have access to our own fresh, raw milk I wouldn't buy it at the grocery store.  I would stick to the pasteurized.  But since we do, we run down to the milk tank almost daily to fill up our milk pitcher.



Hmmm....just heavenly.


Bryce's Special K cereal.

 Okay, time to begin the day!

 
Let's move on to chickens...... 

Later in the day we drove over to my sister's house to visit their 2 month old baby chicks.  I had been meaning to get over there to take some photos of them when they were first born, all fluffy and cute but I never made it.  Not that they're not cute now, but I wanted to get some photos of all the fluff they were sporting when they were smaller.

These chicks were hatched in an incubator at my sister's house.  They ended up with four hens and four roosters.  They are now two months old and with most of their feathers coming in.  More fresh eggs coming soon to their house!  We were going to take four or so hens for our own upbringing but since there were only four hens out of the hatched chicks, we'll wait for the next incubator batch.


Remember Snowball ?  There she is looking in from the outside.  The baby chicks are kept in their coop for their own protection and until they are big enough to fly.


Paige, the animal lover wanted to hold every one of them.






And I couldn't leave without checking in on the baby bunnies that aren't very tiny anymore....remember them?  Here's Cinnamon saying hi!


To complete the afternoon, a fun ride on a mini 4-wheeler.

















Happy Sunday! Pin It

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had fresh milk when our kids were babies and I had to shake there bottle before feeding them to mix the cream up. Our doctor said as long as the milk was from a tested herd the milk was fine for them. The thrived on it and I love the fresh cream for my coffee and to make whipped cream.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I have never had fresh from the cow milk-i will have to try that one day!

Pat Tillett said...

Nancy, I think I told you before that my GF had a dairy supply route. I used to go with him a lot during the summer. There was a couple of dairys that always had nice cool fresh milk for me to drink. I loved it.

Alexandra said...

Ack! I want your life!! I think there was a mix up at birth....

tanyas daily said...

great pics...I have never tried raw milk

Unknown said...

Wow, I've never had milk like that. And oh those baby bunnies - when my son was little that was his favorite thing to hold. OMG - if we could go someplace that had bunnies - the best thing ever :)

Tracy

Beth said...

We used to fight over who got the first pour from the pitcher when we were kids because the cream was at the top. It was our job to run to the milk house to get fresh milk each day.
I don't buy raw milk here, although I think it is available, but I do buy it from our local dairy. There are only four dairy farms in Alaska and they process their own milk. It is nice to know that the milk we drink is coming from the cows we see down the road, even if it isn't raw ;)

dining room table said...

I would love to have a cow, really. I like to have some milk straight from them!

Heather G said...

Oh I love the raw milk. I have a special bent spoon for scooping the cream for my coffee. My youngest child is allergic to pasteurized milk. The process it goes through kills enzymes in the milk that aid in digestion. The milk is so creamy and yummy. I had a glass of milk (store bought)at a friends house....yuck!