Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 13, 2011

Calf Tongues

Today while the kids were in school I took a leisurely walk down to the calf barn.  Sometimes it's nice to experience all the calf and cow sounds on my own, without two loud kids at my heels.  Don't get me wrong, I love when the kids come down with me, which is most of the time. 

While the bulls tend to gravitate towards me when I'm around, I tend to gravitate towards the calf barn.  How can anyone resist these cute little things?!

This little gal came right up to me.  She's around 4 months old and very friendly.  All she wanted to do was suck my fingers so of course I allowed her to.  Their tongues feel like rough sandpaper on one's fingers. 















I remembered to follow my own tips for visiting the calf barn.....don't let them suck my ring finger. 



While all the calves are friendly, none are halter broke.  My next project is to halter train a calf so we can have one as a pet here on the dairy farm.  This is something I have never done before.  Dominic used to when he was younger and showed dairy cows in the county fairs, but hasn't done it for a long time.  Not sure which one we'll pick yet, but I'll be sure to keep you posted.


Pin It

10 comments:

Marie-Journey to Body Zen said...

That little calf is so cute! :)

Nancy~The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Thanks Marie:) She's a sweetheart too!

Nancy~The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@DeanO, I'd be digging through poop for sure!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Super cute Nancy- their little snouts look so soft!

goatmilker said...

I love my baby calves! Thsy are so sweet. We have a little heifer right now her name is willow and she is about 2 weeks old just the sweetest thing. It is hard not to get attached to them. Rebekah

Kelly said...

Can I please come visit you and the calves when I am in California this summer? I'm such a sucker for calves.

Katie said...

Kelly and I both will come visit the calves this summer! I love the pictures Nancy. Keep up posted on halter training. Paige can show the calf at your local fair! :) NOW that would be adorable.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@goatmilker, I know, I love all the calves as well:)

@Kelly & Katie, we'll have to get some dates together when you're both here!

The Wife said...

I just love the babies. Too cute.

Pat Tillett said...

What a cutie!
I hope you'll be taking photos as the calf grows...