Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 17, 2011

Spring is in the Air on the Dairy Farm

Is it still January?  Doesn't quite feel like it here in northern California, especially on the farm.  We've hit the 68 degree mark already and the green grass responding by growing like crazy. There's a certain smell that comes along with spring that I can't quite put my finger on as far as describing it, but I think it has a lot to do with all the fresh new green grass. 

I've always loved the vibrancy in color and contrast of green grass up against an old rustic barn, or maybe planted in some galvanized containers, possibly even in a window box planter, 














or,













on a working farm truck.  Hey, I'll take what I can get.


Pin It

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Send some of that weather to Indiana! I think it was 13 when I woke up this morning... snow tonight...

ann said...

I am with Liz we need some better weather in Indiana

An Authentic Life said...

Well, now your just plain showing off - 68*...we won't see that until....???....well, not sure. We are dying that it's 48* and raining and all the snow is a melting slushy mess...doesn't bode well for those ski hills!!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Liz & ann, 13 degrees sounds awfully cold! How do you do it!

@DeanO, and we actually have two of that very same truck...twins, both adorned with grass:)

Pat Tillett said...

I hear you Nancy. It was in the mid to high seventies down here in SoCal... I don't think it's going to last, but we're enjoying it while it's here. The mud is having a chance to dry...

Katie said...

Nancy, I LOVE the green grass and am so jealous but I'll see it soon in California when I visit. Your photos are tremendous and that farm truck looks familiar to one we have! Classic.

Dana Gustafson said...

:) Love this! Classic ranch truck "decor"!

Nancy-The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@pat, I know you guys down in so. Cal were hit super hard with the rain. Glad to hear you're getting some some dry, warm weather:)

Nancy-The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@katie, I hope our spring like weather holds out long enough for your time in CA:)

@Dana, just like a piece of art, right?!

Evan Thomas said...

Beautiful photos! The farm must be such a wonderful, rustic place to walk around in good weather.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Thank you Evan, I enjoy my walks around the ranch:)