Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 10, 2011

Sun > Lush Green Grass = Happy Heifers

If you've been reading some of my posts the last few days {or if you live nearby}, you know that we've been experiencing some very foggy, cold, damp weather here in northern California.  Well, Sunday I walked out of the house and felt completely like a mole who had just crawled out of her hole, wondering what that bright, yellow thing was in the sky.

It was too tempting not to take a stroll in the green grass up behind our home on this rare sunny day.  So with rubber boots on, out I went. 














Look who else I found enjoying the green grass and the sunshine...........these were some Happy Heifers out on grass.  They couldn't eat fast enough!









I tried to get a little closer, but I spooked one of them and once one begins to run, they ALL do......in the other direction. 













It actually felt warm standing here taking in the view with the sun on my face.













A dose of vitamin D is just what I needed.  After I got my fill, I walked back down the hill, avoiding the muddy cow trail and made myself a nice lunch of leftover venison loin and brussels sprouts. What more can one possibly need?



Pin It

7 comments:

crystal.cattle said...

Wow beautiful, and we have five inches of snow here.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Crystal, snow...I don't think I'd be able to live where it snows...I'm wimpy when it comes to weather:)

@DeanO, and it's been especially wet and cold this year:)

ann said...

Do you know why cattle have to follow each other and make the mud trail? Ours do that also.Just wondered why. I guess there is always a leader.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some green grass! We're in the middle of a snowstorm here in IN, and I just got back in from doing chores. Normally it's so dark out there that you can't see your hand in front of your face, but this morning there was so much snow that the lights from the barns reflected off it lit up the entire property!

Ann - I think it has to do with a "well they took that trail, must be safe" kind of mentality. Every animal I've ever owned does that, even the chickens!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@ann, I do believe MilkMaid09 is correct...every animal I've owned have always created a path. I think they just feel comfortable knowing they've been down that road before:)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Lovely photos- the sun is so gorgeous- Have a great week!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog, come back and visit anytime.
The pictures are beautiful! That green grass and sunshine look wonderful! Snow here and unbelievably COLD! Need the moisture bad, just not a fan of the bitter cold wind!
Take care.