Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 21, 2011

Scaredy Cow

I learned something new in regards to cows today.  But first let me give you a little background info.  This cow you see in the photos below is pregnant and overweight.  Just like any animal, it's easier to give birth when a body is in shape.  It's better for the animal, it's better for the baby. 

So, this cow is out in Joey's pasture eating green grass, no alfalfa or silage, in an attempt to get her in tip top shape before she delivers.  Don't worry, there's plenty of green grass out there to keep her and Joey happy, she just can't have the alfalfa or sileage for now.

This is what I learned....a  cow who is contact with humans on a daily basis (as all of our cows are); our milkers, Dominic, my father-in-law, is not at all afraid of them, but will do anything to high-tail it as fast as she can to get away from someone she's never met before - me.  Now, I wasn't very close to her but I absolutely terrified the poor bovine.  Maybe she's just shy when she doesn't have 'her girlfriends' around to back her up?


She ran to the opposite end of the pasture at a full trot, making sure to keep her eyes on me at all times.  So to give her back her serene pasture and let her graze in peace, I said my goodbye to Joey and headed out of the pasture to leave the poor terrified creature alone.

Back to the calf barn for me.


Pin It

No comments: