Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 5, 2011

Top Tips I Learned at a Digital Photography Class

This past weekend, I attended a four hour Digital Photography Class that was held at our local junior college.  I was expecting a class of around 20 people or so, but no, close to 50 people were in attendance.  I guess I'm not the only one who has a 'big' camera and needs to learn how to properly use it.

The four hours flew by!  I've had my camera for about 5 years.  I've self taught myself as best I could, but there are questions, there are always questions, aren't there?!

The instructor went over every part of a digital camera and I was able to take the things I found important and learn about them.  I am glad I waited until I was familiar with my camera before taking this class because I was able to get to the area of the camera she was speaking about without trying to figure out how to get there first.   














Here are some of the top tips that I found very useful:

You may remember a previous post of mine, "My arms aren't long enough", referring to my eyesight and how I now need reading glasses.  When I take close up shots, I usually have the camera on auto focus because I don't want my photos to come out blurry if I'm not wearing my reading glasses.

But on manual focus....there's a problem.

Well, who knew what a 'diopter' was for?!  Certainly not I. 

It's the little, tiny dial right next to your view finder that......okay, sit down, this is huge!......You Can Adjust To Your Own Eyesight!!  What?! 

Just like reading glasses built in!  How did I not know this?












Another tip, the 'auto focus area modes,' you can change them to 'single area focus'.  This is another biggie for me.  I now have only the center mode turned on for auto focus.  So all I need to do is point that center mode on what I want to focus on and not worry about the other modes auto focusing at the same time.  The center mode is doing the job.

Many times I'll hold my shutter down half way to auto focus on a subject and while still holding down the shutter half way, re-frame my photo so my focused object is not in the center of the frame and when I'm ready, press the shutter the rest of the way down to snap the photo.  So having only one mode 'on' is going to make my life much easier when taking photos.












Flash:  turn off when indoors {which I like to do already} and turn it on outdoors, on a sunny day, if you're dealing with shadows and high contrast.  If you're taking a portrait photo outside and your subjects face is dark, turn the flash on and it become bright for your shot.

White Balance.  My camera has it, as do most digital cameras.  Do I use it, no but I will now.  For instance if taking a photo of a sunset, turn your WB on 'cloudy' and it will 'warm' up your photo, leaving a brighter sunset pic. 

WB has many different settings to use, depending on the lighting you're shooting in.  Use this feature and do less with your photo editing program.  It saves time.  Just don't forget to adjust it when in a different setting.

Continuous Shooting or 'Sports Mode':  Definitely want to use this mode for action shots.  This will allow you to shoot pics continuously with one press and hold down of the shutter, without blurring.


Your manual is your best friend, if you've lost yours, you can probably download it online.













Now I can't wait for the next level class!


I love to hear from you! To leave a comment, click on the “Post a Comment” link below. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

23 comments:

Suzie Salmon said...

Thanks Nancy! I got a *big* camera for Christmas and the only one of your tips I knew was the diopter part (and only because my brother showed me!). One day I really must take a serious class on how to use it...

colleen said...

Nancy, I took a class two weeks ago from a local photographer. I, like you, have had my camera for along time. The class was a "mommies" class for moms who want to take better pictures of their kids. I felt advanced because I was familiar with my camera but learned a few new tricks myself. She encouraged us to not use the auto settings and work strictly with the manuel settings. So much more freedom. But it does take practice. I too am waiting for the next class.

Anonymous said...

I signed up for a free local class and they never got back to me as to when it would be held. So, instead I have joined an online camera group that goes on outings.. can't wait to go on the first one!
http://exposureroanoke.org/
I suggest people look for something similar in their area.

Di

TexWisGirl said...

glad you were able to glean some good tips from this class. i'm still on auto focus and i let the camera choose its modes - most times. in time i'll experiment a bit more, but for now, i'm still a newbie. :)

Michelle said...

I like the idea of using the flash outside on a sunny day. Interesting! I will be trying this out soon!

Unknown said...

Great tips!!! Maybe I should take a class!?!?

Kym McNabney said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Southern Gal said...

My camera is new and I'm learning as I go along. I have been thinking of taking a class to help me learn the ins and outs a little quicker. (I like hands on instruction.) Thanks for sharing about your class. I've got to find one soon!

Sue said...

Thanks for the tips, I might have to come back to this post and practice these tips. I am always having problems with my camera.
Sue

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know what that diopter was for.

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Good for you for taking a class! I want to one of these days!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

sounds like a fun class- I would love to do a short class like this- the ones I've looked into are a bit longer-

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@texwisgirl, if you shoot on 'P' mode, it's similar to auto but without the flash...then you can turn the flash on when ever you need it:)

Leah said...

Thanks for visiting my little piece of "home" in the country! I grew up a 4-H kid and so have my children -- many years spent in the organization. The camera tips are great - I can't wait until you post about the next class....

Leah Beyer said...

Great tips! So much to know about the digital cameras. It is daunting!

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

new camera owner here too! I need to take a class like this!! Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try them out and look forward to your next photography post!

cathy@home said...

Great tips maybe I should read the instruction manual

Farmgirl Paints said...

Well that was helpful. Thank you. I just took a class too and didn't learn a lot of what you just said. Getting ready for a trip to a place with fabulous sunsets. I will definitely remember that white balance tip:)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Dear Wife of Dairyman I like you am self taught and probably do it the hard way. Thanks for the tip I never knew about the glass thing either. Great idea. Have fun in class and thanks. B

maryelizabethroche said...

I've been meaning to take a class!
I just keep thinking I'll learn it on my own!
(I should know better)

M.E.

Sheryl said...

I love this post. I'm teaching myself how to use the digital camera and it's not easy, even with the manual. I will probably try to find a class like you did. Thanks for sharing what you learned!

bon bon said...

those are great tips! as a graphic designer, i've been fortunate to work with some very talented photographers. i owe them a ton of thanks for my years of on-the-job training. now i'm passing on what i know to a friend who calls me her mentographer! ha!

bon bon said...

i should add...if you are a member of flickr, there are oodles of area groups who go on monthly flickr-walks, or groups just for newbies with open discussion boards. or some for people with post-processing questions (photoshop), and on and on... there's really an amazing amount of information to be found there!