Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 8, 2011

A Girl And Her Horse

Paige is my horse lover in the family.  Girls and horses, they just go hand in hand, it seems.  Maybe it's their long mane and tail that initially attracts a girl to ponies.  What ever the case, the attraction was immediate for Paige....immediately after the first time she laid eyes on a horse.

We had some bonding and grooming time with Joey yesterday.  We were waiting for the farrier to arrive for a scheduled manicure/pedicure for Joey, and Paige helped give Joey a much appreciated grooming.














Most of you know, Joey has been in 'lock-down' for over a month now.  He's not allowed to have this rich, lush, green grass because it causes him to founder.  But to get Joey from his paddock to the area where the farrier trims him, we had to walk knee deep in the stuff. 

Not an easy task to lead a food obsessed horse through knee deep green grass.  I won't lie,  he did nab a few bites without permission. 













So after a 20-30 minute lesson in ground manners to 'refresh' his memory, he was much more calm and relaxed.
But not much later, he was done with the photo session.













His evil eye was telling me 'enough already!'
Joey is doing much better since almost foundering over a month ago.  His soreness has seemed to totally disappear.  After he loses about 100 pounds, we may even get a ride in.

Thank you to Verde Farm for hosting Farm Girl Friday!

 
I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. You can click on the “Post a Comment” link below to do so. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Glad he's doing well! Mine are doing great this year - I pulled them off the front hay pasture in time so they could start munching down the back before it got too rich and green. :)

Sebab said...

Like the horse and the girl story. They both seems content to each other in the picture.

Dar said...

My daughters first horse was a surprise that we thought would either last a week or the rest of her life. She now has two sons of her own, two horses and 3 boarders that keep them so busy and happy. She is also an equestrian photographer by trade and has her own business. I guess it's going to last a life-time. The bonds created and the responsibilities are gifts. Loved this entry.
BlessYourHearts, yours and your girl with a horse, sweet Paige

Sarah said...

Mel loves horses too. I see one in our future. Glad your horse is doing better.

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Robyn said...

I get the evil eye when the camera comes out too. My husband almost refuses to have any kind of pict taken. Molly, my Boston Terrier who is all most 2 yrs old, is just now starting to stay still long enough for me to snap a quick shot of her. My hubby calls her the schizophrenic rat.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Sorry to hear he foundered. It's scary business. We had good luck with one that foundered by getting her in heart shaped shoes. The farrier who put them on her really did a great job, and she was rideable again pretty quickly. They're pricey though.

Michelle said...

Glad Joey is doing better!

Janice Grinyer said...

Oh my, is this cushings related? Not good - although you are diligent with his care, thats wonderful!

and I agree; i should post pictures of when my girls were young - horses kept them out of trouble for quite a long while! :D

Southern Gal said...

Non-horse person that I am, I had to look up foundering in horses. I didn't realize there was so much to be aware of when raising horses.

ann said...

She is in love with Joey. Looks like she gave up her doll for the guy. Glad he is better.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Joey is getting better.
Yup, it's inevitable. A girl's first true love is always a horse if she can get ahold of one. I still love my old mare, but the "shiny-ness" of horses faded for me after attempting a minor in Equine Studies in College - high-maintenance horses are no fun and unfortunately most of them are. It's good that Paige has a backyard horse that she can just love on w/o all the pressures of the "show world".

Anonymous said...

It's just hard not to eat the things we love. I don't blame him for taking a nibble or two.

DI

Prairie Rose said...

Your daughter is just precious!
She is so darling in her little pink boots standing by her gentle giant:)
I agree,little girls and horses go hand and hand.
Your pictures just brightened my day.
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

That's the KINDEST evil eye I've ever seen. LOL! I'm glad you got him to the farrier without too much munching.
Beautiful green grass down there.

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Paige and Joey seem to have a fondness for each other.....and I can't even imagine trying to get Joey through that sea of green without letting him nibble!

Patrice said...

I'm here from Verde Farms and i really like your blog. I'm following now! I really understand girls (I have 4) and horses (We have 6). There's a real bond there. Stop by my blog and say hello when you get a chance.
Have a great weekend!
Patrice
www.everydayruralty.com

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

ah, poor joey and his founder. i am really glad he is doing better. thankfully my horses have not foundered. your paige is adorable!

Lori Skoog said...

Glad your horse is improving. We don't have grass like that...and my horses are only off it when it is covered with snow. That way, it never has a chance to get so luscious. Did you ever try a small paddock that he can eat down and just have something to nibble on that won't hurt him? Love the photos of him with your daughter.

Teresa said...

What a great looking pair they make. I'm glad to hear Joey is doing better. It's never fun when our animals are ill.

Unknown said...

Lucky little Paige! Glad your horse is feeling better and thanks so much for linking up to Farmgirl and Farm Friend Friday...
Deb