Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 4, 2011

Meet the Dry Cows

Our 'dry cows' are not only dry because of all the nice spring weather we've been having, but this group of ladies are called 'dry cows' because they are on break right now.  They are on hiatus from milking for 2 months.

All they need to worry about is eating, basking in the sunlight {if it's not cloudy} and sleeping.














When our dairy cows are pregnant, they are given a break from milking in the last 2 months of their pregnancy to concentrate all of their energy into the soon-to-be newborn calf that will be making an appearance soon.













Paige and I took a little stroll out to their corral to check on them and say hi.....the laundry that is piling up at the house can wait for another day.













In no more than 5 minutes, we were surrounded by them all.  They're all so very curious and sweet:)















I love to hear from you! To leave a comment, click on the “Post a Comment” link below. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

20 comments:

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Aww, momma-to-be cows! Can't wait until we get to see photos of the babies :)

Anonymous said...

That last photo is a classic cow shot. All headed your way....

Di

Dar said...

I remember it well. I miss it more.
BlessYourHearts

Robyn said...

It is so green at your place! Have you planted a garden?

We have been getting some sunshine and nice temps. It got up to 50 today, but the wind was bad. Yesterday the wind was terrible and we had some flurries late afternoon/early evening. It was frosty this morning.

Sarah said...

I still hold a soft spot in my ♥ for holsteins. So pretty!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Glad to hear they are getting a break...every mom needs one from time to time. lol

TexWisGirl said...

sweet little ladies, better rest up! :)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Robyn, no garden planted yet, but hopefully soon!

@Farmchick, you've got that right;)

Leontien said...

Yah! that looks like our girls! We too have a "long" dry period and they go over to the neigbors and stay there in the sun, mud and rain (if they want)!

Thanks for sharing and your girls look great!

Leontien

ann said...

Our beef cattle will do that and nose around maybe they think we have something to eat.

Imen McDonnell said...

For the longest time, I imagined Richard with towels on cows when he said he was going to be "drying off cows today". I had no idea. As always, love your blog! Imen x

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Pretty sure they're saying HOW MUCH LONGER.......at least that's what I was thinking the last 2 months
;-)

Rae said...

I am a country girl at heart and spent a lot of my growing up years on the farm. I still love cows. Your girls look great.

Jessica said...

That is really interesting. Do you just stop milking them and their milk dries up? (I assume it comes right back once they've given birth..?)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Jessica, yes, their milk come right back once they give birth:)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Some of the dry cows are outside here now but the heifers and the milking cows are still inside waiting for the grass to grow and the ground to dry up a bit more.

Jensamom23 said...

What a nice way to spend NOT doing laundry. They are sweet!

Farm Girl said...

That is your place for your dry cows? Oh my gosh how beautiful with the lake in the background. I guess I need to take a drive up to where you live. That is a beautiful piece of property.
I really do love your cows. Thank you for your sweet comment at my place too.
I am glad you have a special place for your girls to rest for a bit. One of my favorite dairy's that was close by our house had a place like that and I always enjoyed looking at it.

bon bon said...

hello girls! you certainly have a lovely view! happy grazing!

interested said...

Lovely story.