Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 6, 2011

Crazy Calves

We have a fenced in hillside between our house and Great Grandma and Grandpa's house and during the spring time, we put a hand full of 5-8 month old calves in it so the grass can be eaten down.  This is the first time these calves have been out on pasture.  At this age, they can leave the safety of their barn, they're big enough that predators, such as coyotes will leave them be. 

I missed the opportunity to snap photos when Dominic trailered them up, I was at gymnastics with Paige.  So I thought I'd hop the fence and get a little closer to them to snap some cute photos.  They should all recognize me by now.  My cute Brittney is in this bunch, she'll come over to me for sure.

Ha!  Scaredy calves not only high-tailed it away from as fast they could, including Miss Brittney, who was the front runner! {you can see her in the above photo - she's the mostly white calf}













one of them even jumped the fence! Oh, Dominic is not going to be happy about this.  The calf is fine, she jumped into the heifer pasture to hang with the big girls.



And then they were gone.....over the hill.













Hmmm.......should I tell Dominic what happened in person or let him read it on this post??  Regardless of how he finds out, he'll ask me one question.......Did you get her back?


I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. You can click on the “Post a Comment” link below to do so. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Whoops! When we had our first herd of cows they broke the fence and hightailed it up the road. I "chased" after them with a golf club....and wearing a pair of crocs. I have since learned how to get one back in the fence. LOL!

TexWisGirl said...

oh dear! you're a calfarazzi! inciting quick getaways, regardless of traffic or obstacles... :)

ann said...

Once they start jumping you almost have to move them to another pasture. They will do it again. Good luck

Sarah said...

Whoops. Good Luck telling Dominic.

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

A neighbor today chatted on Facebook about a stray angus heifer that found her way to his farm- about 2 miles from home. Thankfully we were able to figure out whose she is and get her returned to her home.

One time we had a heifer escape into a thicket. When we couldn't find her we had to go home for the night. The next morning she was in the pasture again and we never found how she got out or how she got back.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oops! When I was little we had a bull jump out of the pasture and when he was on the loose he jumped on the hood of our old station wagon. Crazy cows!

goatmilker said...

See my share of crazy cows and I sure know about the escaping from the fence. Rebekah

Tipper said...

The pictures are great-makes me wish I was there to walk through the pasture : )

bon bon said...

ow, i'd run through those lush green pastures and jump some fences too, if given the opportunity!

Anonymous said...

Oh My - scaring your little cows - LOL! I'm guessing you got her back into the proper pasture. ;)
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Janice Grinyer said...

When i lived in WI, and would travel to MN, there was one dairy that I would pass that always had loose calves, in the ditch, everywhere. Always. Would turn in to help squeegee them back in their holding pasture. Got on a first name basis with the guy...lol but i bet when he'd see me somewhere else, like at the grocery, Im sure he had to fight off the thought of " the calves are loose AGAIN?" lol

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

...I would let him read the post. Keeps the excitment in a realtionship ;)