Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 15, 2011

Calves and Ranch Life

Just yesterday, Dominic tells me part of a Bay tree had fallen in the calf pasture on the ranch property behind Stafford Lake and it needed to be cleared away. 

After picking up some hay for Joey from town, Paige and I drove out to meet Dominic.

One would think after eight years of living on this ranch, I would know my way around the place.  But the bridge that I normally drive over to get across the creek, was washed out....gone.

"Mommy are you lost?"

















"Well, Paige, we just need to go a different direction."

After a quick cell phone call to Dominic, I found I needed to continue driving west on the main road, through a gate which would then take me over a different bridge.....and unfortunately that's where I stopped listening to my conversation with Dominic.  Because if I hadn't, I would then know to take a left, once over the bridge instead of the right I was sure to be the correct route.

"Mommy, why are we turning around again?"

Eventually we found our way.

 No sooner than we arrived, the herd from behind the lake showed up to see what was happening.  The calves that live out here are from 6 months to 13 months old and very curious.













As Dominic hauled the downed tree branch away, the calves stood and watched.  Most of the Bay tree is still standing and should easily continue to grow without the two branches.


Chloe was loving this outdoor activity.

















Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Just click on the “Post a Comment” link below. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

such beautiful green pastures for your very happy cows! :)

goatmilker said...

Love reading your posts! It sounds so much like my life. Have a great weekend! Rebekah

Anonymous said...

Such a quaint little bridge. Is it still under water?

Di

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Snappy Di, the bridge in the photo is the one that remains that I drove over and the other, apparently, washes out or gets taken down every winter and has not yet been rebuilt.

Michelle said...

Beautiful, healthy cows in your pasture. Glad to see you finally found your way :)

Unknown said...

Everytime I think it is actually Spring here it begins to get cloudy and starts to rain - so I just get on the computer and pull up your blog and look at all your gorgous pictures of green pastures and sunshine - THANK YOU!

Ott, A. said...

Seems like there is always something to do on a farm that requires going out of your way to get it done. Beautiful pics!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Your cows look so happy!

Sue said...

Very cute post, and it is so refreshing to see children and farm animals. Cows are very curious.Thanks for sharing a part of your day.
Sue

nanny said...

I love your green pastures....so very pretty!!!

Leontien said...

Lovely pics of your heifers! And i can understand why you little girl loved the activity!

Thanks
Leontien
p.s. hope your friend is doing ok.

Marli said...

This sounds like my kinda day! Thanks for giving us a wonderful glimpse. :)
Happy weekend and hope it's peaceful for you too! ;)
*MeMoRy

Janice Grinyer said...

Nothing like being on a mission, then the bridge washes out! I had to drive 46 miles exactly out of my way because a creek bed washed out the road this year, YIKES!

And your pastures and your daughter are just lovely!

Buttons Thoughts said...

What a day thank goodness for cell phones. Your daughter looks so cute in the pasture. Lots of fun down on the farm always some adventure or another. B

Antique wedding rings said...

Enjoyed reading of your post. It was quite entertaining and very much similar with my life..thanks for sharing. Loved it:-)