Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 30, 2011

WW: Perfectly Portable Parfaits

What a fantastically busy weekend this last weekend of August was for us.  But not too busy to fit in the first episode of The Pioneer Woman's new Food Network show on Saturday morning.  I love that all episondes have been filmed on their Oklahoma beef ranch.  Along with the great recipes Ree shares with us, we also get a peek into what her ranch life is like.  The show inspired me to try something different.

I was to attend a baby shower on Sunday morning and was putting together parfaits to bring along and share.  I used Chobani Vanilla yogurt for the first layer on the bottom of my mason jar.  Second layer was granola, then sliced strawberries and blueberries.















Then I topped it off with some freshly whipped whip cream and a few more strawberry slices.



















Slapped the mason jar lid on and we were good to go.  A perfectly portable, eye pleasing, to-go container, right? 


I use mason jars all of the time, for toasted coconut storage, sunflower seed storage, as a beverage container, a salad dressing mixer, marble storage, almost anything but canning {I have yet to try that}....the possibilities are endless!  On The Pioneer Woman's new show, she used hers to transport individual Sunrise Punch drinks to her gang working the ranch, so I thought why not use mine for the parfaits, perfectly portable, lids included. 

How do you use your mason jars?

For Wordless Wednesday, I'm linking up to:
Pinke Post
Project Alicia
Live and Love Out Loud

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you!. Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

14 comments:

Karen C said...

My grandma used to put everything into mason jars to take lunch (and sometimes dinner) to the field. She was a dairy farmer too. :)Good memory - thanks!

Ott, A. said...

Looks delish! I love the quaint country look canning jars give.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Karen, wow your grandma was a busy woman! Mason jars are definitely very versatile!

Amy, I know you're a big 'canner' I still need to learn how:)

Anonymous said...

I use mine for storage too. Especially for leftover soup. And also for measuring.

Jeannelle said...

Looks yummy and I like the jars! My kitchen wall is decorated with some antique canning jars.

alicia said...

Now that is an ingenious idea. I might have to stumble this one. Love that pioneer woman!

Michelle said...

I also use them for just about everything, but canning! They are fun and interesting to use. Much better than plastic.

Faythe said...

I tried canning pickles once... and tomatoes 2x. then I gave my extra jars to my fil... but I have some old ones inherited from my gran & I like to store assortment of things in them for display. your parfaits look yummy! Faythe @GMT in WI, with a dairyfarm backyard neighbor!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

That is such a smart idea!

Prairie Rose said...

Mmmm, yummy!
I am jealous, we dont have dish or cable tv, so I almost pouted when I heard Pioneer Woman was getting her own show and I couldnt see it:(
So, thank you for sharing!

Farmchick said...

I love the look of anything in jar....I use them all of the time. As a matter of fact a jar recipe is in the works for a new blog post. Come on over and say hi!

Mandi said...

I love love love using mason jars for all kinds of things! They're just the most perfect little vessel, aren't they? They make anything look cozy. I would love it if you'd stop by my Wordless Wednesday pic to say hi! I have a cute photo of my boys up this week. :) Have a great day!

Mandi at boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com

Good Girl Gone Green said...

I use mason jars all the time to store things! The parfait looks yummy!

Meryl said...

Love yogurt parfaits (that's usually my breakfast) and LOVE the idea of mason jars.