Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 8, 2011

Is BlogHer12 a possibility? BlogHer11 Recap

With BlogHer11 being held in San Diego this year, it was doable for me since California is my home state and it's a quick flight down to southern California.  How could I not go?

At opening session on Friday morning, BlogHer announced that BlogHer12 will go back to NYC next year!  Exciting right?! 

If you've never been to a BlogHer conference and are thinking about attending BlogHer12, here's a recap of my experience at BlogHer11.

This year over 3,500 bloggers from across the world {I met someone from Brazil!} converged at the San Diego Conference Center and practically took over the San Diego Marriot Marqui and surrounding hotels in downtown area.

Someone accurately described this experience via Twitter as "a summer camp for women".  Yes, most conference goers were women but there were a few lucky {smart} men in attendance as well.  During the conference we were kept busy from 7 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. the following morning on both days.  There were parties-a-plenty to attend, sometimes three in just one evening.  All the BlogHer hosted parties were included with our event ticket!















My roomie, Katie who authors the blog An Authentic Life, currently living in Montana and who I went to high school with, reconnected in person at BlogHer11.  It was such a pleasure to catch up with Katie face to face.  Although it's not necessary to know anyone when attending a BlogHer conference, it was certainly comforting to hang out with someone I already knew.
























One person I didn't get to meet in person was Alexandra from Good Day Regular People who was one of the bloggers chosen to read at the Voices of the Year presentation.  But I know we'll make an 'in real life' connection in the future.













As I said, there were parties and dancing galore if that's what you're in to and if not, people watching is always entertaining.














Trainer Bob from the Biggest Loser was at the event.  You could have signed up to work out with him one morning.  Other celebertiy sightings included Riki Lake and Giulianna Rancic.

















With your BlogHer conference pass, your meals are included, but you can choose to sign up for different breakfasts, lunches and dinners given by different sponsors.  Katie and I were lucky enough to get on the list for the poolside luncheon given by California Raisins.
Raisins were incorporated into all things on the menu at this luncheon.













Including dessert.













Pureed raisins were included in these VERY moist brownies.....recipe soon to share!















I had the chance to take a little break in the Daisy suite where they served cottage cheese with various toppings.  They also had massage chairs, make up artists and manicurists available for a quick pick-me-up.  I LOVED the Daisy suite.














BlogHer was not all parties and eating.  For two full days, you were able to sit in on panels of your choice.  I felt there were tons to choose from and difficult to pick sometimes.  I've been following Jadin Hare from Steamy Kitchen ever since I began blogging so I really enjoyed her tips and what she had to say on her panel, "How Blogging can make you a Local Hero".  Even though I felt like I missed out on some other informational panels, BlogHer announced that the transcripts would be available to us, word for word, on their site.














All in all, I think the thing that most resonated with me, were the in person connections made. I believe I exchanged around 100 business cards, which means 100 introductions and conversations. 

Katie, myself and Lynn attending the McDonald's sponsored 'CheeseburgHer' party.  Oh, and all meals and party food included a vegetarian and gluten free option.

Carrie, from Carrie with Children and Karen from Jane Nation at the Social Soiree Party.


















After attending BlogHer11, my thoughts on attending BlogHer12 in NYC next year are definitely positive!  If you're a blogger that blogs for fun, as a career, or to keep a home journal, I believe attending a Blogher conference will give you an invaluable experience.

And if you decide to go next year, be sure to bring an extra suitcase to pack all your SWAG {stuff we all get}.













If you attended, what are your thoughts on the conference and will you go next year??

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!
Pin It

17 comments:

Leontien said...

It sure sounds and looks very tempting!!!

Plus i never have been to NYC!

Your story and the pics look really like a lot of fun!

Leontien

An Authentic Life said...

I am duly impressed that you had the energy to put a post together already. I am WIPED out...and my brain is still digesting.
YOU, Wife of a Dairyman, made my experience fantastic! We had fun, right?
{My favorite part, Cheeseburgers and wine. Sorry, but it doesn't get much better that!}
Hugs!!!
KT

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Umm, YES Katie, we had FUN!! I'm having withdrawals already! The CheeseburgHER party was the best:) Miss ya already!

Unknown said...

I just heart bloggy conferences! So glad you enjoyed your first!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

This really looks like a great time!! I think I want to go to one! :-)

Michelle said...

You do make it sound very tempting.

Suz and Allan said...

Sounds like so much fun and I've never been to NYC so I just might have to go!

Carrie with Children said...

What a great summary of the weekend! Thanks for including a picture of me and crazy Karen! I'm so glad we got to meet you and Katie. You ladies are awesome!

Crystal Cattle said...

I have always heard wonderful things about this conference and one day I really want to go! I am glad you had a blast and learn more about blogging. Can wait to hear the tips you share.
www.crystalcattle.com

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

BlogHer sounds amazing and I'd love to go sometime. Realistically, though, NYC is outside my budget comfort zone. I ran the marathon last fall and that was an event of a lifetime, but it is one pricey place!

Jessica said...

The swag alone is fantastic! I'm going to have to get to a BlogHer one day...

Karen Moran said...

Aww sassy pants you rock! I so loved having an opportunity to finally meet gals I've been blogging with IRL. Looking forward to more opportunities in the near future!

Katie said...

I'm starting the Blogher12 slush fund now Nancy. I wanted to go so bad with you this year but NEXT YEAR I am IN. IN IN IN. Count me IN. In case I wasn't clear, I really want to go! Love your recap.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

NYC is a lot more reasonable for me to do than California... so maybe I will consider it next year?!

Great post. Love the perspective of what its really like to attend!

Cabin Fever in Vermont

Dagmar said...

I didn't get to meet you at BlogHer :( Hopefully next year in NYC!

Dagmar's momsense

Unknown said...

I am "in" for next year!! Glad you had fun!!

RhodeyGirl said...

LOVE this recap!