Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 16, 2011

For Wordless Wednesday: Sway

Living in the country, we have our fair share of grass growing; oat grass, rye grass just to name a few.  When I first married Dominic and moved to the farm, living in a newly built house, there wasn't a whole lot of landscaping going on in the yard.  We had a few rose bushes, a few trees and that was about it.  Now, eight years later, there's slightly more landscaping {we take things slow} but one of the things that's remained the same is the oat grass growing on the far side of the driveway.













At first I wanted it gone, mowed down.  But you know what?  It has grown on me.  I like it.  It sways in the wind almost like it's waving with its delicate rustle that can be heard if our windows are open. 
Last night, on a rare, quiet moment, our windows were open, the kids were no where to be heard and the rustling I did hear brought me back to some fond childhood memories.

It's funny how a sound, a scent or a scene can sometimes transport you 30 years into the past.


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

8 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

hi nancy...i love looking at those tall late summer grasses...
loved seeing this, my friend

happy to stop by

kary and teddy from SLO
:-)

TexWisGirl said...

i love the grasses, and when they top out to an almost shade of purple, they're just lovely!

Michelle said...

The Nature Conservancy has really promoted the growth of native grasses in my area. I love to see it sway in the wind. Gorgeous.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I know that you live way out in the countryside so I am sure that grass is very appropriate - and the sound it makes must be very soothing.

Jeannelle said...

Nice picture! We have lots of tall grasses here, too, but no hills in the background.

The Sisters' Hood said...

We just had an amazing trip up there, all the way from Florida ... bet we drove right by you ;)

Kim said...

I can almost hear it swaying.

Valentina@baby quilts said...

I'm not much into ornamental grasses but I think what you have is truly beautiful, and on top of that it doesn't need weeding, feeding and watering.