Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 17, 2011

Thank my lucky shamrocks

It's St. Patrick's Day and with that, brings all things green and lucky, right?!  Yesterday after my 'Hectic' day, I stopped into the gardening store to see if I could find a little something for Paige's teacher as a kind gesture for missing my appointment with her.

Look what I found!  So excited to see purple shamrocks.  I had no idea this variety even existed.  I thought it was a nice switch from the green so I bought one for Paige's teacher and one for myself.  When it comes to plants, I can't help myself....I just hope I don't kill this one off too soon.



Sometimes, a fourth leaf will grow on a shamrock. This variation is called a four-leaf clover. Because if its rarity, it is said to bring good luck to the finder, a tradition that dates back to the Celtic people.



I have found a few four leaf clovers in my life thus far and have many things to be thankful for, but on this day, I thank my lucky shamrocks for sharing today's experience with  my youngest, on her first day ever of playing soccer. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Wishing you many four leaf clovers in your life:)
Thanks for stopping in.

Pin It

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow...a beautiful plant. I have never seen one!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I've never seen one before- lovely. And such a thoughtful gesture.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Farmchick & @Ren, I just love the purple color on this shamrock....I think I need to go back for more:)

Sue said...

I have never seen a purple shamrock, and would love to find one. Your youngest looks so cute and ready to play soccer.
Enjoy this special time!
Sue

ann said...

Your daughter is a sweetheart. I have had green shamrocks but not dark red

TexWisGirl said...

So cute. I think my mom had one of those plants. It looks really familiar.

Anonymous said...

I have a shamrock plant that has green outer leaves and purple on the inside - very cool. I also have a rounded leafed shamrock plant whose pink flowers smell delish! :)
Happy St. Patrick's day. Sure and begorn yuppers ... Cead Mile Failte - which means 100,000 welcomes in Gaelic.

Anonymous said...

Those are really neat!
Ah yes, the soccer field. Grew up on one myself - not because I played, but because my brother did since he was 4 and then later my dad coached. Great game for kids. And don't worry about the ones that just pick dandelions and watch the ball roll under their feet - they can still grow up to win scholarships!

bon bon said...

i have one of these! yesterday, i scanned my house for something "green" to shoot, and this plant didn't even occur to me!

you'll be happy to know, they are hard to kill. i bought mine as an outdoor plant, but it was too pretty to just let die in the fall so i dug it up and it's happily thriving in a west window...waiting to be let out again. :o)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@MilkMaid09, Ha! good to hear about the daisy pickers:) Thanks!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@bon bon, I hope I have the same luck growing my Shamrock as you have:)

Farm Girl said...

I have always looked for four leaf clovers. One time my Mom was in a bookstore and she brought home a old book. She brought it home because on ever single page was a four leaf clover dried in the pages. I still have it but someone took lots of time to save them. I wonder did they always have good luck? Have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, thank you for your kind words.....and yes you have talent galore. And you are exploring it while raising a family.......not an easy task.I so enjoy your postings.

Shannan Martin said...

I bought a green shamrock plant a couple of weeks ago and it BARELY lived to see yesterday! ;)

Alexandra said...

Purple shamrocks???

Of course, you couldn't just have green like the rest of us.

I'm telling you, my next life? I AM YOU.

Katie said...

Nancy, I LOVE the purple shamrocks! And Miss Paige is just too adorable at soccer. You are a lucky mom!
Katie

Pat Tillett said...

This is a first for me. I didn't even know they existed... Nice post Nancy! Have yourself a great weekend.

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Okay I LOVE your blog! So pretty :)

Also had to stop and give a shout out to a fellow soccer mom. Let me warn you, one minute it's all "oh how precious, she's all tangled in the net and almost ran the wrong way!" and in a blink you've got a U12 player with a mean body check and a tournament every holiday :)