Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 27, 2011

Rainy Day Fun

It's been another weekend of rainy weather for us here in California and as I said yesterday, Little League Opening Day has been postponed, once again due to soggy fields.

It's super muddy here on the farm as well.  You would think my kids would enjoy going out in rain boots to splash in the puddles....but they don't.  I ended up searching my cupboards for something.....anything for them to do......we're sort of running out of new, fresh indoor activities but I was able to find one.














I found a forgotten box of gingerbread cookie-pops....Score!












Out came all the tubes of frosting, leftover from Christmas.

















And sprinkles.



















After they whipped through all 10 gingerbread-pops, Bryce discovered, by accident that he could change the color of the frosting by mixing the colors.  Hallelujah!  All of the sudden we had an additional 45 minute art lesson {aka~ busy time}. 













You gotta do what you gotta do on a rainy weekend.....even if it means letting them lick the frosting bowl when they're finished.

What do you do for fun when you're stuck indoors?  We may need a few more ideas.


I love to hear from you! To leave a comment, click on the “Post a Comment” link below. Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

14 comments:

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

What a great idea! When I was little I used to make necklaces and bracelets with beads. My sister and I used to also take monopoly money and set up a "town" throughout the house. Post office in the living room. Bank in the dining room. Restaurant in the kitchen. Store in our play room. We used the money as our currency to buy our favorite toys!

Anonymous said...

This takes me back to when my son was small....have you decorated coffee filters with those little drip bottles of food coloring yet? Good for a few minutes of peace and quiet...just put lots of newspaper down first!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Ooh, some great ideas here! Thank you!

bon bon said...

looks like some delicious fun! i bet if you googled something like "rainy day activities" you'd find lots of options. a trip to the library was always something my boys looked forward to. (back in the days before the internet.) ;o)

Southern Gal said...

Fun! We play games - Uno Attack and Battleship are the most popular right now - and the Wii sometimes.
Reading aloud is another of our favorite things to do anytime, but especially on a sleepy, rainy afternoon.

TexWisGirl said...

Sweet kids and their sweet treats!

Leah Beyer said...

What a fun day! The cookies look great!

Michelle said...

For us it is board games, movies, and art projects. Love those pops. They turned out really cute.

Anonymous said...

My granddaughter wants to learn to sew. We are learning simple stitches and making some easy doll clothes.

nanny said...

I just took your virtual tour....I loved it! The music was a perfect accompaniment!!! You did a wonderful job putting that together.

Ady Xp said...

good blog


go to my blog

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Those look adorable and so fun to make. Hope they tasted as good as they look!

Much like you, we bake. :)

The Quilt Fairy said...

What a good way to turn a rainy day into a fun day, congratulations. Besides activities I used rainy days for 'backward' days, where routines are done backwards and the kids loved it. For example the morning routine 'brush teeth/remove PJ/make bed/have breakfast' was 'have breakfast/make bed/remove PJ/brush teeth'. Some backward walking was also involved and it was a lot of fun. The funniest of all was when one time my son picked up the ringing phone and started with 'bye for now' :D

Janice Grinyer said...

Magazine collages on poster board were a big one at our house - I'd save all sorts of magazines and they would go to town with scissors and paste glue... along with homemade playdough and making a zoo village out of it, using sticks for fences etc. then of course the tiger has to escape and eat the other animals lol

We read tons too, going to the local library - I get a little heartbroken when I hear people talk of libraries being a thing of the past now that kindle has arrived :(