Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 11, 2010

Greek Inspired Orzo Salad

I was in the mood for some orzo salad today so I checked the fridge and pantry to see what I could throw together.  If you've never made orzo salad before, you must try it.  It's super easy, fast and you can easily make it ahead of time and serve it at a get-together.  Great for brunch, lunch and dinner.



Here's what I came up with. {full recipe below}


I rolled up the spinach leaves together and them sliced.  Just like you would basil.


Chop the artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes.




Peel one clove of garlic.  Remember this cool gadget?




Meanwhile, boil a pot of salted water.  Add 1/2 cup of orzo {whole wheat if you can find it, I used regular today} and boil for 9 minutes or so.


Drain, rinse with cold water and throw all the ingredients together and refrigerate.


This was so light and refreshing to eat for lunch.  I don't know why I don't make it more often!




Greek Inspired Orzo Salad

1/2 cup orzo {whole wheat}  I have a difficult time finding whole wheat orzo where I live so I used regular
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 T lime juice
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 cup baby spinach, chopped

Boil salted water and add orzo pasta.  Boil for 9 minutes. 
Chop artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and spinach. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and feta.
Drain and rinse orzo with cold water.  Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate.

Enjoy!

Happy Wednesday!



Pin It

9 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Such a nice, light, and refreshing meal on a summer day...

Genesis said...

ive made something similar...no artichoke hearts, and i used a feta with sundried tomatoes and basil already in it, then just added some olive oil and spinach....it was pretty good.

i also make another one with grilled veggies, regular feta, dijon mustard, lemon juice and evoo...try it some time

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Oh Nancy- that looks simply amazing- and best of all the picture of what you added looks like a snapshot of my pantry and fridge.
I can see we both like TJ's!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Looks like an awesome salad!

Unknown said...

Yummy salad, love all your ingredients:-)

Katie said...

This is totally something I would stare into my pantry and make also. I just bought a case of canned artichokes from Amazon because my local grocery on the prairie doesn't stock them. I'm making this recipe for lunch! Thanks for sharing.

Stacey said...

Yum. I'm putting that in my computer recipe file.

Kori said...

This sounds delicious! I have a recipe similar to this, but I love the use of artichokes...totally going to try this sometime! Thanks for sharing ;)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Kori, so glad you found the recipe here. I hope you enjoy it:)