Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday for a Fat Boy, year two


I'm kicking myself for not catching this sooner.  If I had only looked back on this blog one year ago on Fat Tuesday, it would have clued me in. 

Joey, our quarter horse, is 20 years old this year and is prone to founder.

When a horse founders, there is an increase of blood flow to its hooves. The extra blood puts pressure on the bones in the horse's feet. If the pressure is strong enough or goes on long enough, the bones will shift, leading to permanent lameness.

In Joey's case, all that lush green grass and early spring we experienced in January here in California, caused him to founder early.  It's my own fault, I should have taken him off the pasture and locked him up in his paddock earlier in the month of February instead of waiting until March.  But my vet assured me, I was not the only one this has happened to this year.

I think Joey will be okay and will get through this.  He's on medication, eating low-carb food and resting in his paddock.  He's also getting visits from us at least three times a day, which I'm sure he really likes.  Paige has been a huge help in giving Joey attention.  She and I brush him every day, clean out his hooves and give him a ton of petting.

Here's last year's post on Joey and Fat Tuesday.  It also has some fun Mardi Gras recipes too.....Hurricane cocktail and a fun dessert recipe; Bananas Foster.

What are you doing for Fat Tuesday??


Pin It

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Oh, poor baby boy. I have a fat boy here too - my Arab gelding, Zim (he's turning 19 on Thursday). He foundered on me a couple of years ago - my fault. I left him enjoying pasture during the rich spring and he got WAY too fat too quickly. Now I put him in a paddock attached to the barn every night so he can't eat 24/7. He's done great since then, and I DO try to pull them off the front hay pasture that I let them winter on about the time the back pasture is greening up so they can keep the back under control before it gets too thick and rich.

I hope your dough boy comes thru this okay. I know once they founder, they have a propensity to do it again. :(

TexWisGirl said...

P.S. I'm sure you've had your farrier out to relieve some of the pressure from his hooves. That seemed to help a lot for Zim, and the farrier was pleased he had returned to normal after about the 3rd trim...

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. I have an old mare (27 yrs old?) but I'm lucky that she's still an easy keeper and doesn't give me too many scares. Don't feel bad - my Aunt's horses are waaay bigger than Joey!

Michelle said...

I don't have any experience with horses, but glad to hear that Joey is doing pretty well.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@texwisgirl, thanks for sharing your experience. The vet told me to wait on the farrier for 2 weeks so he's not too sore. Joey tends to get sore after a trim no matter what time of year it is!

@Milkmaid09, 27 years! that's great! sounds like a good girl:)

Dar said...

Oh, I hope Joey is going to be OK. My daughter has Arabs and also boards 3 others. She does a good job tending to their needs, but it doesn't mean she hasn't had a scare or two, also. We will be going to see all of them this weekend. I'm so excited, having only seen her crew once since they moved to a huge farm house and lots of room to roam...her 2 kids too.
As for Fat Tuesday, I'm afraid I only worked on my own fat self, actually worked my behind off doing some spring cleaning, but pigging out on Cho. Cake for dessert tonight...Mercy, so good.
Behavior management, starts tomorrow.
BlessYourHeart

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! Thanks for sharing though. As a cattle girl I know 0 about horses, but as always am eager to learn even if the situations aren't the best. It sounds like he is enjoying the extra attention though.

P.S. NO CALVES YET! Not even in our mini-blizzard today. :(

Farm Girl said...

Hopefully not getting foundered and fat. :)
I had a horse do that once. He went and found a mud puddle and spent all his time with his feet soaking. I haven't thought of that in years and years.
I will check out your recipes.
I have a cookbook my parents got one year in New Orleans and I was thinking of some of the recipes.
Thanks for your comment by the way. I hope you have a great week.

Nancy said...

Poor little dear. I truly hope he is okay. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you have an electronic calendar on your phone or online someplace? Put a reminder in January, February and now to keep it at the front of your mind. :) I'm sorry this happened again to him - it does seem like once they get it - they get it again ... :( At least you caught it early.