Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 7, 2010

Zucchini {garden & bread}~Heifers~ Wannabe Cow Dog

Finally, we have zucchini and squash blooms!  The summer squash is the first to bloom, zucchini is about ready to.  I really had my doubts about my garden this summer, but I think we'll be okay.





I even spotted a tiny summer squash.



The strawberry plants were not so lucky however.  Something has been munching on the plants themselves in the middle of the night.  Probably a pesky rabbit.  Don't get me wrong, rabbits are cute and all but boy, can they do some damage to a garden. {anyone have a good recipe for rabbit?!}


After I finished up watering this morning, I spotted  Chloe spotted the heifers coming down the hill behind our house, making their way back down to the barn for some water after grazing all morning.



Chloe SO thinks she's a cow dog...poor thing.


After the heifers made it down the hill and Chloe stopped barking her head off we came back inside to make Zucchini Bread.

Since we don't have any zucchini as of yet, I took some out of the freezer that I had grated and frozen from last summer to make Zucchini Bread.  I kind of made up my own recipe.  This is what you need:  {full recipe below}



Cream together the brown sugar, butter and eggs.


Add the grated zucchini and mix that in.


Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt and sunflower seeds.


Mix well.


Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and place the batter in.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Done.  Doesn't this look like the meatloaf I made just the other day?!....not sure if that's good or bad!


Definitely didn't  taste like the meatloaf!  This version of Zucchini Bread is a little bit healthier by adding the whole wheat flour and no oil added.  And the sunflower seeds added a great touch! 


Enjoy!  Here's the recipe:

Healthy Zucchini Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1  1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt (fine)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (or nut of your choice)

Cream together butter, brown sugar and eggs.
Add grated zucchini and mix
Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nuts
Mix well
Bake at 350 degrees in a loaf pan for 45 minutes

Happy Saturday!
Pin It

5 comments:

DigiMom said...

Looks tasty...I love the idea of adding sunflower seeds to zucchini bread!

Unknown said...

Yummy, Nancy your veggie garden looks like mine, it's been such a cold summer, weird! I have strawberry plants but the birds eat all the strawberries, they're cute birds, so I don't feel too bad;-)

Dana Gustafson said...

Mmmm yummy! I love zucchini bread. I'm still whispering encouragement to our gardern but one of these days we will have enough for zucchini bread too!

Elise said...

OHHHHH, my goooooooodness! You don't EVEN know how much you've saved me! I'm SO adopting THIS recipe! Our zucchini's have been strangely prolific this year and I've been making bread like a crazy woman! Unfortunately... I'm getting older {ha ha!} and I've been eyeing my recipe much more critically {can you say a little zucchini with ALL that oil!?! Yech!} I can't WAIT to try this! THANKS, doll! You ARE the Dairyman's WIFE with the mostest!!! Yee Haw!

tanyasdaily said...

that looks so good! thanks for the recipe