Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 1, 2010

The "Girls" like their snacks & Healthy Carrot Cake Power Scuffins

As I was getting Paige ready for bed last night, we were in the bathroom just off her room which has a window that looks out at the hill behind our house.....where the heifers graze on pasture.  A couple of them happened to be walking by at the time, as they do so often at around 8 in the evening.  They walk up the hill from their barn below to grab a snack....girls like their snacks right?  They looked so peaceful and content on the hillside at dusk, only the rustle of grass could be heard. 

So after putting Paige & Bryce to bed, I went out with my camera, looking towards the west and snapped these photos.




I could have stood here 30 more minutes watching them, but they headed over the hill with the rest of the herd.


The heifers aren't the only girls who like snacks......I do too......not usually at night, but for sure in the afternoon.

I found this recipe for Healthy Carrot Cake Power Scuffins on Angela's website and they looked so good, I just had to give them a try!  I changed it up just a little bit {you'll see below} plus anything that has carrot cake in the title is good in my recipe book.

What I really liked about this recipe was the fact that pure maple syrup is used in place of sugar and they're packed with nutrients.  They're definitely sweet enough for my little sweet tooth.  I was actually expecting them to taste less sweet than they did......I was pleasantly surprised!  I will most definitely bake these again.  They'll be perfect for a mid morning or afternoon snack or even as a healthy dessert. 

As I was baking these up, Dominic comes in and asks what I was baking because it smelled so good in the house.  After I told him what they're called he says -

"Who are those for?  What are you trying to do to me?!" {remember the fried platter of food he ate while camping?}

So, to that I said, "They're all for me!"

Healthy Carrot Cake Power Scuffins......here's the skinny~





Ingredients.  Recipe below.


Mix all dry ingredients.


Don't forget the oats, like I almost did.


Mix all the wet ingredients with the carrot.




Mix dry with wet ingredients together.


Add in raisins and toasted walnuts.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.


Done.












Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 cup whole spelt flour {I used whole wheat instead}
1/2 cup regular oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/5 tsp pumpkin pie spice {OR: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger}
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Chia/flax egg: 1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 tbsp water OR 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 minutes {this is instead of using egg}  {I used the flax & h2O}
1 cup shredded or grated carrots {approx 2 medium}
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
coconut, for topping {I used sweetened}

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, mix the chia/flax mixture and set aside.  In a large sized bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  Grate the carrots.  In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients {carrots, vanilla, oil, maple syrup, chia/flax mixture}.  Add wet to ddry and mix until just incorporated.  Stir in the walnuts and raisins.  Scoop mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or greased with oil {I used Pam spray}.  Scoop about 1/4 cup for each Scuffin to make 6 large scuffins.  Wet hands and shape into a circle if desired.  Sprinkle with coconut.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350. 

Nutritional Information:
{per scuffin, approx.}  265 cal., 9 grams fat, 1 gram sat. fat, 5 grams fiber, 4.4 grams protein, 61% vitamin A, 10% iron, 59 mg calcium, 180 mg potassium.

Note:
These are not overly sweet baked goods, so if you prefer your baked goods quite sweet, I would maybe add a couple tbsp of sugar in addition to the maple syrup.


Question of the day:
What's your favorite snack?

Happy Sunday!

Pin It

2 comments:

KT Walters said...

Looks yummalicious! Thanks Wife!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I just found your blog and love it! These look so yummy. I'm a sucker for all things carrot cake.