Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 27, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake from Scratch for P.J.'s B-day

I remember the first time I attempted to bake a cake from scratch.  I was so intimidated!  Or maybe it was just that the boxed cakes were so convenient, I don't know?  After baking my first chocolate cake from scratch, there was no going back.  Most of the ingredients are things that are already staples in the pantry...how easy.

Wednesday Paige or P.J. and we sometimes call her, turned four.  Can't believe my baby is four!  Last year I couldn't believe she turned three and that's when I got a puppy......maybe it's time for another one?....puppy, that is.  Anyway, she was SO excited to help bake her own birthday cake {she's going to do well when she's old enough to join the 4-H cooking group in a year}.  So my little helper and I set out to bake the requested chocolate birthday cake {with sprinkles}.




Here's what you need plus some chocolate chips {not shown in the photo}.


In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, beat the Crisco {yes, I said the 'C' word again} until it looks like this.

Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until it looks like this.

Add eggs, one at a time and beat in.

Then add in dry mixture and water alternately to the beaten mixture until it looks like this.  Fold in the little nuggets of joy, also known as chocolate chips.  Pour batter into a Pam sprayed 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish or you can use two round baking pans.

Let your assistant lick the beaters, bowl and spatula, or do it yourself.



Mmmm,  Mmmmm Good!

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.



Let cool, frost and decorate. 

Enjoy!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a piece of cake and we're off to a RiverCats triple A baseball game for some good times and ball park food....stay tuned!


Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake

2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups cold water
3/4 cup chocolate chips {I use milk chocolate}

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or two 9 inch round cake pans.  Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside. 
In a large bowl, beat shortening with mixer for 30 seconds on high.  Add sugar, vanilla and beat well.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat in each one.  Add dry mixture and water alternately to the beaten mixture on low speed.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Pour batter into baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  Cool and frost.

Butter Frosting

1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
food coloring {optional}

In a mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy.  Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beat well.  Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar and additional milk if needed.  Add food coloring at this point and beat.

Tip: if you want to use store bought frosting, place in a mixing bowl and add 1 tsp vanilla and beat.  This will give store bought frosting that homemade taste.....not that I do this or anything.... ;)


Happy Friday!  Cheers!

Pin It

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yummy - especially as I am trying not to eat cake!!

It has been our local Agricultural Show today and our friend and neighbour who has a large Holstein herd has won supreme champion with one of his Hosteins - if you have time pop over to my blog to see pictures.

Stacey said...

Happy birthday to your little girl. And boy that cake sure looks good. I think I can actually smell it.

ShawnWhite20 said...

I used the butter flavored crisco instead of the original. I added a package of instant chocolate pudding to the batter. Let's just say I have more requests than I can handle for this obsession I've created.