Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 25, 2012

'BOTW' Rhubarb Coffee Cake from Iowa


My 'Best of the Web' for this week is coming directly from Iowa!  Teresa, author of Homemade Iowa Life, submitted this fantastic looking recipe for Rhubarb Coffee Cake.  And to answer your question, Teresa, being a born and raised Californian, I have yet to try cooking/baking with Rhubarb.  But after looking at your delicious photo and recipe, I'm planning on it.....I even went out and bought some to try out.  Thank you!










































Teresa says, "I found this recipe in an Iowa farm newspaper. Not sure if rhubarb is as popular in California, but Iowans love our backyard rhubarb.  Seriously, I bought our house just because it had four rhubarb plants growing in the yard!" 



Rhubarb Coffee Cake


        3 C. finely cut rhubarb
        2 C. sugar
        3/4 C. margarine
        1 egg
        1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
        2½ C. flour
        1 tsp. baking soda
        ½ tsp. salt
        1 C. buttermilk
        ¾ C. brown sugar
        ½ C. nuts
        ½ C. evaporated milk



















Photo by Teresa at Homemade Iowa Life



Combine rhubarb and 1/2 C. sugar, and let stand. Cream
margarine and 1 C. sugar. Add egg and 1 tsp. vanilla to margarine-sugar
mixture. Add alternately to that: flour, baking soda, salt and
buttermilk. Blend in rhubarb-sugar mixture. Put into greased 9x13-inch
pan and top evenly with brown sugar and nuts.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees. While the cake is
baking, combine: ¼ C. margarine, ½ C. sugar and evaporated milk. Boil
exactly 3½ minutes. Remove from stove and add ½ tsp. vanilla and mix
well. When cake is baked, spoon the margarine-sugar-milk mixture over
the hot cake.

If you have a recipe you would like to feature here for my 'Best of the Web' series, email it to me with a photo and if it's featured, I'll link back to your blog.  If you don't have a blog, I'll let everyone know who and where it's from!

TheWifeOfADairyman {at} gmail {dot} com



Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!
 
Pin It

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Thanks for featuring my recipe! Hope you enjoy it! I've got church cookbooks full of rhubarb recipes, if you ever need another :)