Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 23, 2010

Cheese Tortellini with Butternut Squash Sauce

There are some days that I just want an easy, low key dinner....aka, something easy to heat up.  If you follow me on Twitter, you then know I was at CostCo yesterday.  I was sure to find something there.

Cheese tortellini is what I came up with.....just boil!  Can't get much more low key than that, right?


I was just going to use some typical marinara sauce with the tortellini, until I stumbled upon this!  Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce.  I had never seen it before and I thought it sounded so good for a rainy Friday night.


















After reading the ingredients, I knew it would be a sure thing.  Anything with butter in the line-up is good in my book.  I just hoped the kids would go for it.













So I simmered the sauce,













boiled the tortellini,













plated it all up and shredded some fresh parmesan cheese over the top and was done.













This was super good!  I will definitely prepare this meal again.  The result, is a fresh tasting, creamy butternut squash sauce with a ton of flavor.  Sweet and savory at the same time.  I was really able to taste the red bell pepper, it added just enough spice to the mix but not too much to where my kids wouldn't like it.

Bryce, who complains about ANY pasta I make, even enjoyed it.  I think his comment was, "this is the best pasta ever!"  Paige was cranky - tired from staying out a little past her bed time from the night before when we attended the Fair Appreciation Dinner, she complained about everything at dinner, except her bread and butter.  Paige, being my pasta lover, will give this dish another try and I'm sure, love it as well.

This was the perfect autumnal meal !













Tonight's SF Giant's playoff game #6 .  We'll be staying in to watch the game.  It's rainy here in northern CA so something hearty and warm for dinner sounds good. 

What are you doing tonight?

Happy Saturday!
Pin It

2 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Yum- looks good-

Jessica Johnson said...

Wow, I've never heard of butternut squash pasta sauce...I definitely have to try that!