Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 1, 2011

Yet Another Side to Chloe

Remember the other day when I talked about how Chloe is a full blown stalker cow dog
Well, today after some time spent in the pasture barking at cows {she's now brave enough to stay in the pasture with the cows and bark at them at their feet}, she comes trotting up to me, completely wet, tangled  and with something hanging from her mouth.

Warning:  this post has a bit of a 'yuck' factor to it.

I saw a side of Chloe that I didn't even realize existed.




Just as proud as she can be, she trots up with a mouse in her mouth.  Can it be?  Do I have a wannabe Fox Terrrior on my hands?  A hunter, a gatherer {of cows}?














The little moppy headed mess was SO, SO proud of herself.  Then it dawned on me, she may have scared off one of our two resident ferral cats from their catch and stole the mouse.  Not sure how it happened, but now that it has, and Chloe has the taste of varmint on her taste buds, I'm sure she'll crave the hunt here on the ranch once again.


YUK! I'll say it for you.
Just for the record, I pried the mouse away from Chloe and threw it back over the fence.  I couldn't let her eat it.....she does sleep indoors and loves to give doggie kisses and the entire mouse-in-mouth thing was completely grossing me out.



It's gonna be a long summer......we have tons of field mice.  Time for another bath and a good teeth brushing.


Pin It

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats so funny, little dogs think they can do anything, even herd cattle. We had a 5 pound toy poodle and my dads cows were afraid of him. If he ran into the field and started barking at them they would start running and that really encouraged him to chase. When we were at the farm our dog looked like a stray or something he was always so dirty and smelly.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

No- that is not a bit of a yuck factor- that is full on-

Pat Tillett said...

That pup is a real cutie with a ton of personality!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Ren, yep, you're right!

@Pat, Thank you!..I think so too :)

@DeanO, I guess you're right:)

Gorges Smythe said...

Poor dog; they usually HATE tooth brushings!

Sippity Sup said...

I think its a cute story! Life on the farm... GREG