Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 4, 2011

Super Bowl Food

Super Bowl Sunday is coming up this weekend and we're having a small gathering over.  Along with the pizza that we'll have, I'm going have a chili bar going as well.  We have quite a bit of stew meat in our freezer from one of our natural beef animals we've recently harvested, so Chili Con Carne is on the menu.

photo by Bon Appetit

I found a recipe that I thought looked really good in Bon Appetit's magazine this month and I've adapted the recipe below from their recipe.  I like beans in my chili so one of the changes I made was to add pinto beans to the recipe. 

I'm also going to take the recipe and add it all to a slow cooker the day of the party, that way there's very little prep time and more time to enjoy guests. 

Chili Con Carne & Beans

Ingredients

•4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
•4 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef chuck (from about 5 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes and 4 cans of pinto beans 
•2 medium onions, chopped
•1 head of garlic (about 15 cloves), peeled, chopped
•1/2 cup ground ancho chiles
•2 tablespoons ground cumin
•1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
•1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•1 12-ounce bottle dark beer
•1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
•2 teaspoons dried oregano
•2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
•2 tablespoons tomato paste
•3 tablespoons masa (corn tortilla mix)

Garnishes
•Coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
•Chopped green and/or red onion
•Chopped fresh cilantro
•Diced fresh tomatoes (optional)
•Sour cream (optional)

•ingredient info

Ground ancho chiles are available in the spice section of supermarkets and at Latin markets. Masa (or masa harina) is sold at supermarkets and Latin markets.

•Test-Kitchen Tip

Stirring in a few tablespoons of masa (corn tortilla mix) at the end helps thicken the chili.

Preparation

•Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of beef; sprinkle with salt. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to large bowl. Repeat 2 more times with 2 tablespoons oil and beef.

•Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon oil and onions. Sauté until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; stir 2 minutes. Add ground anchos, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beer; stir 1 minute, scraping up browned bits. Return beef and juices to pot. Add tomatoes with juice, 2 cups water, oregano, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt. Bring chili to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer gently until beef is just tender, 13/4 to 2 hours. Cool 1 hour, then chill uncovered until cold. Cover; chill overnight.

•Spoon fat from chili. Bring chili to simmer over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste. Sprinkle masa over; stir to blend. Simmer uncovered until thickened and beef is very tender, stirring often, and adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick, about 30 minutes.

•Divide chili among bowls. Top with garnishes and serve.


I can already taste this, it looks so good.  Can't wait to spoon up a bowl of it and have some warm cornbread to go along with it.

What are your plans for Super Bowl??

Pin It

8 comments:

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@DeanO, I have a feeling Pittsburg will win, but you're right...it's ALL about the food!

Pat Tillett said...

You know I love your blog for the dairy side of it, but it seems like I leave here wanting food more often than not! so I'm happy either way! This visit is no exception! I want chili, now!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Pat, thank you! so glad you enjoy the recipes. I, myself, can't wait for Super Bowl Sunday to arrive, for the sole reason of eating this chili:)

Katie said...

Hi Nancy, we are invited to a friend's house for the Super Bowl and have a birthday party for the girls to attend. We'll juggle both and probably not watch much of the game! I think I am making PW's potato skins recipe and maybe this Chili Con Carne & Beans recipe too! YUM.
Enjoy the weekend.
Katie
http://pinkepost.blogspot.com

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Katie, oooh, potato skins - I haven't had those is so long. Sounds delicious with some ranch dip....yum! Have a great Sunday Katie!

Leah Beyer said...

OH man if I wasn't at YFR convention in Orlando I would be all about this chili! Love chili with hunks of meats opposed to ground meat. Still trying to adjust to Hoosiers putting macaroni in their chili.

Unknown said...

I recently tried a chili recipe with masa in it. Loved it! And it's not chili without beans, I say, so I love your adaptation.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Leah, macaroni in chili....I had not heard of that until now. I guess that's where Chili-Mac comes from.

@Danelle, this will be my first time using masa, glad to hear you loved it!