Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 16, 2011

Fire in the Hole

Okay, not exactly, but I have to say that was the first thought that sprang into my mind when I was awoken at midnight.  If you've ever been awakened in the middle of the night and something just doesn't feel right, or in my case, doesn't smell right and if you're like me, you would nudge your husband to wake him up and tell him it smells like smoke.

It's February, it's pouring down rain outside and it smells like a bonfire in our house. 

In our living room, where our wood burning stove is located, we discovered a room full of smoke.
We've been using our wood stove all winter without a problem but for some reason last night, maybe the rain, maybe the high winds, we don't know, something decided to clog our wood stove draft pipe.

Smoke was pouring out from the bottom of the wood stove into our living room.  Luckily I'm a very light sleeper and Dominic and I sleep with our bedroom door open and the kids sleep with their doors closed.  The smell of smoke woke me immediately, as soon as it hit our bedroom.

Long story short.....we removed the two logs from the wood stove, and opened every window and door in our house and began fanning out the smoke. 



Needless to say, I have a lot of ash to clean up.  Here's what our dining room table looked like this morning.  And the ash has settled everywhere.  The smell of smoke is still in our house, Febreeze is just not cutting it.

One more disturbing thing....we have hard wired fire alarms in every room of our house.....not one of them went off.



Pin It
Post a Comment