Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

November 23, 2010

Wild Mushrooms....Poisonous?

Are you a mushroom lover?  Good, maybe you can help me out.  Dominic found a cluster of wild mushrooms growing in the grove of redwood trees, just outside our house.  He has never seen this variety of mushroom growing anywhere on the ranch before now.  It's a wonder how these things can just pop up from the ground, especially when they're the size of a small cow patty! 














Every time I find mushrooms growing around the surroundings of our house, I just uproot them or kick them down......thinking they may be poisonous.  But these, I wanted to photograph.













Mushroom enthusiasts, if you have an idea as to what type of mushroom this is, please enlighten me.  I searched online, but couldn't find a match.

















If mushrooms can be beautiful, this one's a beaut.

Thanks for helping!

Happy Tuesday!

Pin It

9 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

As to your question, I have no idea. I do know that all my favorite colors are in the last photo...

Katie said...

Oh I want to know but cannot help. I always assume I cannot eat wild mushrooms but these are so beautiful I would want to grill them up or make soup!

Jessica Johnson said...

I can't help you but I can offer some advice...never eat a wild mushroom! It's not worth taking a chance and possibly dying. Buy them at the store! :)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Pat, thanks!

@Katie, I'll let you know if I find out!

@Jessica, I totally agree, definitely not worth the risk. Thanks!

Mary said...

Some wild mushrooms are poisonous, some are not. We used to pick and fry in butter the little white buttons and the ones that were bigger with Pink bottoms ( where the fan like area is) One year a cow pasture was coverred with them because the moisture and temperature was just perfect. I remember a bunch of relatives coming and going home with peck size baskets full. Hope you find hte answer for your mystery one.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I live in Palo Alto and the person who identified this mushroom is an expert mushroom guy. {see below}
We are both Master Gardeners in Santa Clara Co. I am also Ann L.'s sister who lives in IN on a farm and is the gourd person/artist/blogger. I read your blog everyday.

Rosalie

From Jim:
Yes that is a Shaggy parasol and delicious although significant number of people are allergic to it. I never serve it because of that, but my brother and I love it. Do a spore color check and make sure white and not green. Look up and you will no why.

Jim

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Rosalie, this is great! Thanks so much for forwarding this post and finding out what type of mushroom this is! Now we know:) I really appreciate it!
~nancy

Reverendo √Člber Gudo said...

Generic Viagra

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found some similar one at Devil's lake. There is an ancient way to test wether they are poisonous:

Boil them with a cup of water for minutes. Use a silver thing dipping into the "soup". If the silver turns dark/black, the mushroom is poisonous.

I am curious about the result. Please email me the result if you ever tried the way: pu.jenny@gmail.com

I will keep researching what exactly is this kind! Thanks for the picture!