Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

November 2, 2010

My New Hobby on the Farm-Hint, it involves a tractor

After seven years of living here on the dairy farm, you may wonder why it is that I've never learned to drive a tractor.  Well, except that one time where I had to give poor Dominic a 25 foot ride up in the bucket that one time when he was hanging our American flag on the flag pole.  But other than that, I've never driven one. I think Dominic trusts me more than I trust myself!  Maybe the reason behind not learning to master the art of driving tractor {with my crazy way of thinking} was that I thought I might be "recruited" to a new position here on the farm......

Such as, but not limited to:

Hay Hauler
Garbage Hauler
Barn Scraper
.........you get the idea.

And by not knowing how to drive the tractor, I would never be asked to do these chores. {Wow! how lazy am I?!!}

WELL, while I was watching the kids play in the commodity barn, I asked Dominic if he would teach me to mix the feed for the afternoon feeding.  Of course he would!  And he did.  And I liked it!

It was SO much fun!




















I don't think I need to worry about being asked to take over any of the jobs listed above because by my fourth load, Dominic was antsy to finish the remaining loads.  I guess I was taking too long and he was hungry for lunch.  I got off, he got on and finished five or six more loads in about 10 minutes, where the four loads I did took 30 minutes.

Each load of feed is spread, layer by layer onto the cement pad.  Once all the layers are complete, you mix {scoop} the feed to one end of the pad, which mixes the feed.  It is then ready to be loaded onto the feed wagon, ready to feed to the dairy cows.













While I was busy learning to drive, I sequestered the kids to play atop the silage bags.....which they LOVE to do, as you can see.


Okay, time to go practice my driving.  Thanks, as always, for stopping by!

Happy Tuesday!

Pin It

4 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome fun for you. Just think of all the jobs you'll be doing around the farm now...as if you didn't have enough before you learned to drive tractor!

The Weaver of Grass said...

This made me smile. I once asked the farmer to teach me to drive the tractor - I sat in the driving seat, he by my side. I drove down the field and then he told me to drive over a very narrow bridge - only just wide enough to hold the tractor. I took my hands off the steering wheel and put them over my eyes. He never tried to teach me again!!!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

I love doing the tractor "thing"! You can just sit and work and never have to think at all. You will be plowing or cutting grass soon!!

Unknown said...

You look good on that tractor, good job you'll pick up speed with practice, lol:)