Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

November 21, 2010

Today, I Give My Thanks To The Brussels Sprout Farmer

Have you ever thought where Brussels Sprouts come from?  Neither have I, until now.  Why?  I was pondering on all the things I am thankful for in my life.  Of course the usual things came up....health, family, happiness......and then, the Brussels Sprout Farmer.  I realized, I have no idea where they come from and how they have come to originate in the United States......and I feel like I'm pretty connected with Ag!  This is a home school lesson, for myself.   I LOVE Brussels Sprouts.

According to my online friend, Wikipedia, Brussels Sprouts could have first been grown as early as the 13th century in what is now, Belgium.  Production of Brussels Sprouts in the U.S. began in the 1800's when French settlers brought them to Louisiana.  The first plantings in California's Central Coast began in the 1920's with significant production in 1940.  Currently much of the U.S. production, of several thousand acres are planted in the Central Coast of California.  With a total U.S. production reaching approximately 32,000 tons. 

Well, I now know, my home state of California is responsible for much of the production of Brussels Sprouts.  I am thankful for, not only the farmer, but all of the 'hands' that have a hand in growing and harvesting this nutrient rich, power house vegetable!



Here's how I normally go about preparing my Brussels Sprouts....

Cut each in half or quarters.  Place on a baking tray.  Add diced bacon, olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and...............

 Garlic Gold Nuggets.



Toss to coat.  I use my hands.  Roast in a 420 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, turning a few times during the roasting process.


I make enough to last me through the next day so I can eat them with lunch, either heated up or tossed in a salad.  Oh so good, and the bacon bits, just top it off.
I think we'll be having these again on Thanksgiving.

With all the brussels sprouts eating, it should allow me the indulgence of Pumpkin Gelato.....right?!  Sounds good to me.  I specifically drove to one of our two Safeway's here in town that features a Gelato Bar within the store, for the sole purpose of their Pumpkin Gelato.  It's seasonal and it's back!  Get it while it's here!  After my brussels sprouts last night and after the kids went to bed, I immersed myself in this small bowl of Pumpkin Gelato.
No regrets.  I'm also thankful I decided to get my bum out of bed at 5 a.m. to go to my Boot Camp class that morning!

Happy Sunday!

Pin It

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.my.goodness. I will be making these! SOON!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

IA Farm Wife, glad to hear you like the recipe! Thanks for visiting:)

Samantha said...

Yum--I saw some brussell sprouts at the store last night and thought about picking some up. Now I think I'll have to go back and get them for sure--those look delicious. I planted some in a winter garden this year, so hopefully they grow successfully. Thanks!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I have a big 'ol bag of brussel sprouts waiting to be made into something delish. You've inspired me but first... a bite of your gelato please.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Samantha, I love the idea of planting brussels sprouts in the winter garden! Let me know how it goes:)

@Dararis, it's okay to have dessert before dinner....right?!