Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

November 19, 2010

Mom's Day at Preschool & Homemade Playdough Recipe

I recently had the pleasure of attending 'Mom's Day' at Paige's preschool.  Very exciting to see what this four year old does during the days she spends there.  She took me by the hand, straight to the playdough table.  At the school, fresh playdough is made weekly {recipe below}.  Always with a different color and this week the color was baby blue.    Tons of fun to roll out the dough and use the cookie cutters.  I was told the playdough table is one of Paige's favorites.














Then as a suprise to us moms, we were given an assignment to draw a family portrait with our child.  WHAT!  Stick figures are my forte.  I don't draw and I was not amused with this idea.  But I showed no signs of uncomfortableness.....at least not to Paige anyway.  I pulled up my big girl's pants, took a deep breath and sat in a kiddie chair next to Paige and preceeded to help Paige draw our family portrait.














Basically, Paige told me what clothes she thought everyone should wear in the picture and picked out all the colors for me.  Even down to the pink bow in her portrait.  I drew myself, Paige, Bryce and Chloe and Paige drew her daddy and I think she attempted to draw herself as well.














Masterpiece.  It now hangs in Paige's room.  {I think I'll stick with the playdough and cookie cutters}

Homemade Playdough Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
1 T cream of tartar
Food coloring
1 cup flour

Directions:
Combine the water, oil, salt, cream of tartar and food coloring of your choosing in a saucepan and heat until warm.  Remove from the heat and add the flour.  Stir and knead until smooth.  Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.  Do not refrigerate.

Tip: save your containers from store bought cake frosting {or something similar}- perfect for storing playdough!

Happy Thursday!

This is a fun project to make with your kids during the upcoming holidays!  If you would like to share this recipe, feel free to click the 'Like' button for your facebook friends, or copy and paste the link to this post and share it:)

Pin It

6 comments:

Dana Gustafson said...

Oh boy! I haven't made play dough in a LONG time! It is so fun when it's fresh! Maybe I should mae some this winter just for fun :) Great job to you and Paige on your family portrait!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Dana, your girls would love to help you make it and choose their own colors! So fun! Thanks for visiting:)

Katie said...

We love homemade play dough! Thanks for sharing the recipe and Paige is so beautiful!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Katie, such a fun, easy thing and the kids love it don't they?! Thanks for visiting:)

Jennifer said...

Playdough is just amazing. It keeps the kids occupied forever (atleast it seems that way when I get the time for a cup of coffee) :)

Sofia's Ideas said...

We love making play clay at our house! Last year, we made big batches of green & red clay, and gave them as part of our homemade gift baskets.

Anyhow, I haven't seen you over at Sofia's Ideas in awhile so I wanted to invite you to stop by & spend some time! :)