Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 30, 2011

A Portuguese kind of weekend

During holiday weekends, travel is not big on our list.  This Memorial weekend, we had one day of rain, a BBQ to go to tomorrow and two of the days, we were fully enthrawled in feeling the Portuguese tradition.

Paige will be walking as 'Little Queen' in the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society parade next month so we had a few tasks on our 'to do' list to get ready for that event. 














The tasks included sewing and repairing a few things and creating a banner for the parade.  A perfect opportunity to invite my parents to come down and spend the day with us.  My Mom taught me to sew when I was 6 years old....Barbie clothes and blankets were 'my thing' back in the day.

My Dad needed to take his car in at 11 a.m. to be repaired on Saturday morning but he was more than happy to make the 30 minute drive down to drop my Mom off to spend the day {Mom doesn't drive}. 

Sooo, 8 a.m. my parents arrive.













We really had a great time chatting about old times and long time friends.  Before it began to rain, Bryce and Paige took Grandma outside to show her the roses, the container garden and how good they had become at riding their bikes.

For lunch, I thought it would be fun to make the day authentically Portuguese by serving the linguica and Portuguese cheese I bought at the Novato Holy Ghost auction a few weeks ago.  My Mom showed up with a bag full of Fava Beans, a perfect addition to the menu.
After a morning of sewing, I boiled some water, threw the Fava Beans in for about five minutes and they were done.  Cooked up the linguica and sliced some french bread for the Portuguese cheese.....I felt like I was back visiting the Azores Islands.

If you've never had Fava Beans, after boiling them, you peel the outside skin and eat the bright green bean inside....really good and full of fiber.













Oh, and no Portuguese meal is complete without some red vino.













My Mom was all over it.
Holiday weekends are best spent right at home, in my opinion.


I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

13 comments:

Suzie Salmon said...

I LOVE fava beans, great cheese, and a drizzle of great olive oil...all with red wine of course ;). Love that you spent the day with your mom connecting with your heritage!

Ida said...

I just love reading your posts and looking at your photos. You are so awesome. I'm also glad that you are able to spend time with your family and friends. So..do fava beans taste like edemame or what?

TexWisGirl said...

that sounds like a great visiting time with your mom. i'm jealous...

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Ida, no, they don't taste like edamame. Fava beans have a stronger taste, but hard for me to describe. My parents grow them and I grew up eating and loving them:)

colleen said...

Great post Nancy! Made me hungry. And I look forward to those Festa pictures. I'm a former little sidemaid myself from Turlock. I still wear my crown around the house occasionlly. Drives my italian husband crazy!

Michelle said...

A great looking lunch and with some vino, of course!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Colleen, we have a few things in common; I was also a side maid growing up {never a queen} and I probably drive my Italian husband crazy also:) I have no idea what happened to my side maid crown, but would love to wear around the farm;)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I'm all for that meal! yum!

trump said...

A nice blog and ill put it on my favorites.The funny part atleast around my way is that i didnt see much cooking out this year. Before i forget please stop by everyone on my blog to read a new post from old order Mennonite Jean. Jean is a horse and buggy Mennonite from New york state. Thanks folks. Richard

Valentina@baby quilts said...

More often than not we spend holiday weekends at home with family, friends and neighbors. A bit selfish of me but I'd rather cook and clean than endure the horrendous "long-weekend" traffic. And yes, wine and cheese is a must in our household - with or without celebration!

bon bon said...

sounds like some wonderful family time! i do have to say, paige is just the cutest thing i've ever seen trimmed in fur. :oD

Nancy said...

Well, that daughter of yours has the Queen thingy down pat! She's adorable. :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

She is going to look beautiful in the parade. B