Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 15, 2011

Carrying on the Portuguese Family Tradition

The Portuguese tradition of going to 'festas' and walking in Portuguese parades is one I grew up with.  My entire childhood and into my teen years, was spent attending the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society events all summer long. 

Traditional Portuguese food, dancing, parades, auctions and church ceremonies are deeply embedded in my memory.  At the time, I didn't give them a second thought,
they were just part of life but once becoming a teenager, my interest in the 'festas' dwindled.  My parents continued to go all throughout the years.

It wasn't until last year, when the kids and I met my parents at the Novato Holy Ghost Society fundraiser-auction that I really became interested in this tradition once again.  I realized how much fun this was for kids, because, I found my kids totally LOVE going.  Where else would the action of  kids running around in a hall filled with people, slipping and sliding across the hardwood floor in their socks be cherished and enjoyed by the adults? 

My childhood memories came flooding back.  I had to carry on this tradition before it was lost to the next generation.

Fast forward to one year later.  After attending a few of the 'festas' throughout the year, we attended the Novato Portuguese auction again yesterday.  But this time around, both Bryce and Paige felt a little more connected to it.

When I asked Bryce if he wanted to go yesterday, he says,
"The Porkagese festa?!!  Can I miss my T-Ball game and go straight there?!!"

Paige felt right at home also.  Last October she was asked to be the 'Little Queen' for Petaluma Holy Ghost Society, where my parents and our family are members.  She has about five parades to walk in this summer, but she says she's up for it. I never walked as a 'queen' in the parades but both of my sisters did.  I was always a side maid or flower girl and walked in many parades growing up.  Now that I'm a mom, I'm so glad Paige wants to carry on this tradition.

At the auction, yesterday, a lunch of linguica, beans, sweet bread and salad is served, family style, at long banquet tables.















Grandma and Grandpa were so proud to have two of their grand kids at the auction.


All Bryce wanted to do was buy something, you know how he is at auctions.













All Paige wanted to do was dance for everyone and slide and spin on the floor.













Lots of goodies to be bought at the auction.

















A good turnout as well.













Bryce did get to raise his hand at the auction.  We came home with a nice package of linguica, my favorite Portuguese Sao Jorge cheese and some eggs.  The makings of a perfect Sunday breakfast.













What's your family's special tradition?

I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Wonderful to see your children participating in these traditions. Culture is so important!

Linda said...

Sounds like a fun time.

TexWisGirl said...

oh that is really great. i bet your parents are so proud that their grandkids have taken such an interest and want to participate.

Valentina@baby quilts said...

It is such a wonderful thing to do for your kids and for your parents. Knowing one's roots and keeping the tradition is priceless.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How cool is that?! Also, I just love that sweet flower dress :-)

Anonymous said...

Bryce is so stinkin' cute!!

Di

Anonymous said...

Our family celebrates our Dutch heritage in the Tulip Time festival in Holland, MI. We often participate in the street scrubbing parade and in the Dutch dancing. Tulip Time in Holland, MI was last week, and one evening all of our grandchildren dressed in Dutch costumes for a picture in the park. Then we watched as two of our daughters did the Dutch Dance on the city's main street. Good traditions! www.tuliptime.com

Suzie Salmon said...

We didn't really have a tradition per se, until we were all away for Canadian Thanksgiving so I decided we would celebrate on the US Thanksgiving holiday that year to make up for it. I made turducken and my son invited all his friends, some of our friends joined in, the in-laws came, and my husband even took the day off work! It was wonderful because no one had other family obligations due to this being an American holiday. We now celebrate it every year and I believe I like it better than Christmas. It's a huge family day without the stress of "whose house are we at this year" and the "what do I buy so and so".

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Lisa, that flower dress was just given to Paige as a hand me down from her cousin, Emma....we LOVE hand me downs:)

@Snappy Di, thank you:)

@Anonymous, I have never heard of the Tulip Time festival! I bet you really enjoyed seeing your family participate in such a fun tradition:)


@Suzie, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too....it's all about the food and giving thanks!

bon bon said...

thanks for cluing in us novices to your "porkagese" festas! too cute!

Katie said...

This is fantastic Nancy! I love seeing how your kids have those unique personalities. You have great family traditions and heritage.

Anonymous said...

From the moment I started reading your blogg today I've had a very wide smile on my face.....and, tears filling up my eyes....thank you Nancy for the 'memories' I have ALWAYS been extremely proud of my Portuguese heritage...hard working families being thankful to be Americans!! Celebrating life together as one big familia....xoo
Clairette

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post and keeping up the traditions. We had very similiar upbringings. I was a queen for Novato three times... I can still see the pride on my Dad's face (also a dairyman) carrying the crown in the parade on the way to church. It is a wonderful event the will be a special memory for your family always. Your daughter will be a beautiful queen!! Can't wait to see the picture! :)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Thank you Clairette:) The parade is June 19th in Pet. I hope you come down!!

@Anonymous, a queen three times!! You most certainly did your part, wow! I hope you come to some of the parades, if so, please introduce yourself, we would love to meet you!

okie said...

I think this is just wonderful and so so interesting. Keep it up