Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 7, 2011

All I want for Mother's Day is......

....this Brown Sugar & Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Maple Espresso Glaze.

I think I have a problem.

And it involves butter, chocolate and sugar.

If we weren't in San Luis Obispo right now, camping out at in our friend's driveway in a motorhome, I'd bake this Bon Appetit recipe for myself for Mother's Day......yes I would.




















Ingredients


Cake

•Nonstick vegetable oil spray
•1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
•3 cups all purpose flour, divided
•2 teaspoons baking soda
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•3/4 teaspoon salt
•1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
•1 1/2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
•2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
•1 teaspoon maple extract
•4 large eggs
•1 cup buttermilk

Glaze

•1 cup powdered sugar
•2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
•2 tablespoons (or more) whipping cream
•1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder

Preparation

Cake
•Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 12-cup Bundt pan. Spray pan generously with nonstick spray. Dust pan lightly with flour. Mix chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons flour in medium bowl. Sift remaining flour with baking soda, baking powder, and salt into another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and maple extract. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chip mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly.

•Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan, about 1 hour. Cool cake in pan on rack 30 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and cool completely.
•good to know
Mixing the chocolate chips with a little flour before adding them to the batter helps the chips stay evenly suspended in the batter and evenly distributed throughout the baked cake (otherwise, they may sink to the bottom).

Glaze
•Combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons cream, and espresso powder in medium bowl. Whisk until smooth, adding more cream by 1/2 teaspoonfuls if glaze is too thick to drizzle. Spoon glaze decoratively over top of cake; let stand at room temperature until glaze is firm, about 1 hour. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and let stand at room temperature.



Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Just click on the “Post a Comment” link below {works only if you view through a ‘reader’}. Have a peaceful day.




Pin It

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing! Happy Mother's day to you!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

This really looks delicious--I think I'll need this tomorrow morning!! :-)

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Well I don't think that's asking for too much on Mother's Day. Enjoy your time in SLO!

Di

Michelle said...

Nice recipe! A happy Mother's Day to you.

ann said...

Happy Mothers Day to you. Sorry you can't bake the cake I think I will need to go to store I have a pitch in luncheon I will try that cake

goatmilker said...

That sounds great! Have a happy Mother's Day! Rebekah

Edie said...

sounds delicious. enjoy the day.

best wishes,
edie.
www.chocolatesandmartinis.com

Sue said...

Wishing you a most blessed Mother's Day! this recipe sounds and looks delicious, I say go for it, as I am already feeling guilty from all the chocolate candy my son sent me. lol I can't believe I ate the whole box of chocolates. lol enjoy your day.
Sue

Sarah said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!! This looks really good - thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sarah from The House That Ag Built

Misty DawnS said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, my friend!