Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 5, 2011

Crock Pot Asian Beef Broccoli

In honor of having heard Temple Grandin speak again yesterday, I'm sharing a Crock Pot beef dish with you today.  Over a year ago, Dominic and I had the pleasure of having lunch with Temple at a friend's house and then attended her speaking engagement afterwards. She is always so inspiring. I love her no-nonsense, tell it like it is approach. 


With the kids after school soccer practice and other activities this fall, I sometimes feel like a taxi cab driver, I'm sure you all can relate.  It seems most practices and activities, 4H meetings and such are scheduled either right before or just after dinner time, so preparing a home cooked meal can sometimes be tough.  My Crock Pot is definitely going to be my best friend in the up-coming months.

We raise our own pasture raised beef, so we typically have a freezer full of meat.  Perusing the freezer, I discovered we have quite a variety of roasts to choose from.  My kids like roast but they much prefer steak, venison or hamburgers.  I pulled out a Chuck Roast and tried this new recipe for Crock Pot Asian Beef Broccoli and it was a hit!  My kids even ate the rice without any threats or bribery on my part.

Here's what you need for success....












Slice up a Chuck Roast or steak into thin strips.  This works best if you freeze the meat for 30 minutes for ease of slicing. {entire recipe at the end}

Place the beef in a Crock Pot and pour beef 10 1/2 oz of beef stock mixed with 1/2 cup of Oyster Sauce over the meat.  Cover; cook on high for 3 hours.













In the mean time, toast up some sesame seeds.  Just toss them in the bottom of a pot, turn the heat to medium and toss around for a few minutes until they turn a golden color.













When the beef is almost finished cooking, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the Crock Pot in a separate glass.  Stir the mixture into the Crock Pot and stir well and cook for another 15 minutes.  While this is happening, steam up some broccoli and then turn off the Crock Pot and add the broccoli to the mix, stir well.

Serve the Asian Beef Broccoli over some cooked rice, add the toasted sesame seeds to top it off and enjoy!
My photos don't do this meal justice, meat is difficult for me to photograph, but it is a must try.

Crock Pot Asian Beef Broccoli

1 1/2 pounds chuck roast or boneless chuck steak, sliced thin
1 can of Beef Stock {10 1/2 oz.}
1/2 cup Oyster Sauce {found in the Asian section of your grocery store}
2 tablespoons cornstarch
16 oz of fresh broccoli florets
Hot cooked rice {white or brown}
Sesame seeds, toasted {optional}

  • Place meat in a 6 quart Crock Pot.  Pour the beef stock/oyster sauce mixture over meat.  Cover; cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
  • Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cooking liquid in a glass.  Add to Crock Pot.  Stir well to combine.  Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until thickened a little.
  • Steam your broccoli.  Turn off Crock Pot, mix broccoli into the Crock Pot.  Gently toss beef and broccoli together.  Serve over rice and top off with toasted sesame seeds.

Linking up to Beyer Beware for Hunk a Meat Monday!
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you!. Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

8 comments:

Michelle said...

This does look good and I am always looking for things my kids will actually eat AND like.

Naomi said...

That looks and sounds REALLY GOOD! I am going to try this, this week.

I saw Grossi Natural Beef link on the Clint Grossi's Valley End Farm page, which led me to your blog.

Kathleen von Raesfeld said...

Looks great! Thank you for sharing this Nancy - my crock pot is very busy these days!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Farmchick, yes it is difficult to please kids, isn't it?! Before trying this recipe, I thought it would be one that they wouldn't care for but they totally surprised me and loved it! Thanks for stopping by:)

Naomi, let me know how you like it after trying it. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how you found us:)

Kathleen, we love our crock pots don't we?! Thanks for stopping by, tell the girls hi!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've done a similar crockpot recipe before and it was great! I need to make it again, now that the days are (hopefully) getting cooler.

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

I am always looking for more crock pot recipes, thank for sharing this!

Unknown said...

Totally going to have to try this!! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Hey Theге. ӏ found уour blog uѕing msn.
Thіs is a very ωell ωrittеn аrtіcle.
I will be ѕuгe to bоokmаrk it and геtuгn
to rеad mοre оf уour useful info.
Thаnkѕ for thе post. I will defіnitely сomeback.
Here is my web page : reviews of prosper.com