Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 21, 2011

A Weekend in Fort Bragg, CA

It's Thankful Thursday and after visiting Fort Bragg, CA this past weekend, I have yet another thing to add to my list of things I'm thankful for. 

Fort Bragg is a three hour, long, curvy drive through a majestic redwood forest from our house.  Quite a long, not so easy drive, which explains the reason I've only been there one other time in my life.  But after my experience this past weekend, I wonder why I haven't visited more often. 

We stayed at the Beachcomber Motel, with the beach at its backyard, this was the view from our balcony patio.  We lucked out, the weather was gorgeous.  I was expecting it to be foggy and dreary but no fog in sight the entire weekend.
















We arrived in Fort Bragg at around 6:30 p.m. and took advantage of our patio to soak in the view.  Fort Bragg has many outdoor activities to offer, from horseback riding, hiking, wine tasting, shopping, museums, art galleries, even riding the Skunk Train.  Our purpose in Fort Bragg was the Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival taking place, where Paige marches as "Little Queen" for Petaluma.  I would have liked to add one additional day to our trip and explore some more, but I was thankful I was able to drag Dominic off the dairy farm for two nights in a row.















The next morning we were up at the crack of dawn.  Bryce is always the first one up when we're traveling.  The excitement of being in a new and unfamiliar place has both the kids giddy every time they're away from home.

By 8:30 a.m. we were showered, had eaten breakfast and were out the door ready to explore the area.  Just outside the Beachcomber is the newly refurbished Pudding Creek Trestle, heading south, it will take you into town. 

















After a mile walk, we headed back to Pudding Creek Trestle and the Beachcomber.















We took a narrow trail down to the beach and played in the sand for a couple of hours.  The kids jumped rope with seaweed, built battle stations out of sand and eventually got their clothes wet in the surf.

 Such a fun day. 

















What are you thankful for this week?  Feel free to link up & grab the Thankful Thursday button or just comment below if you care to share!



Pin It

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

how awesome that you were able to escape to the beach for a bit as a family! :) i'm grateful we're not hitting 100 anymore this week - just mid-90s! :)

That's Life said...

Wow, Fort Bragg looks beautiful! Sounds like you all have a wonderful time. I think we all deserve time away sometimes, especially with family.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely photographs Nancy - a break is always a good thing for a busy dairy farmer. What am I thankful for? Good health again, plenty to eat, lovely family and friends - what's not to like.

An Authentic Life said...

I adore Ft. Bragg. Did you go to "Glass Beach?" That's my favorite spot!!!