Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 26, 2011

Beef and Black Bean Nachos - For Dinner

A few weeks ago, while hanging out in Carmel with my friend, Katie, who is a source of inspiration to me on many levels and is the one and only reason my kids speak of North Dakota on a daily basis in our household, was telling me about a platter of nachos she made up to feed her family dinner one night.......now, why hadn't I ever thought of that?! 

After all, the chips are just like taco shells and I could throw on some garden fresh toppings for some healthy veggies, not to mention the beef and beans for protein. 

It's like a healthy, hearty, one dish meal you can throw together within 10 minutes!  Genius!......go with me on this.

















So I began layering; chips, cheese, yellow and orange bell peppers, onions, ground beef and black beans.















A high protein meal, the entire family could devour.















I did search our garden for some juicy, ripe tomatoes but ours are all still green.......that's what we have salsa for, right?!
















Here's what you need for success:

Tortilla chips or pita chips
cheese of choice, I used low fat mozzarella, grated
1 pound of ground beef
taco seasoning
1 can of black beans
bell peppers
1 small red onion
tomatoes, chopped if you have them
and any other topping you feel like chopping up and adding

Directions:
Place ground beef in a skillet and brown.  Add taco seasoning to taste and cook a little longer.  Set aside.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Place the tortilla chips on the foil.  Sprinkle grated cheese on top of chips, layer with bell pepper, red onion, browned ground beef and black beans.

Place in oven on broil for 4-5 minutes.  Just long enough so the cheese is good and melted.
Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole if desired.

What's your favorite, go-to quick meal you throw together?

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

14 comments:

Joyce @friendsdriftinn said...

Oh I love beef with black beans! Sometimes we do just a little drizzle of olive oil, lime juice, and vinegar on top just before serving. The acidity really makes the beef and bean combo POP!

Suz and Allan said...

I love adding black beans to Mexican dishes. Have you ever tried black bean and corn salsa? It's amazing. I can't get enough of it!

Michelle said...

Katie's nachos are delicious and I love the addition of black beans.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

This looks delicious--Especially because I just had a bowl of cereal for dinner! ;-))

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Suz, yes, I LOVE black bean/corn salsa...so good!

Crystal Cattle said...

I have nachos for supper all the time. These look delicious. I like using beef and shrimp on mine!

www.crystalcattle.com

The Weaver of Grass said...

We don't seem to have black beans here in the UK Nancy and yet I had them with beef in a Chinese restaurant last week, so I shall have to search them out I think. Your food looks so appetising.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Weaver, I always find it so amazing the differences between the UK and the US when it comes to food! Black beans are such a staple here {at least in California}.

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

This is a standard dinner around our house. So quick, easy and yummy!

Jeannelle said...

These look delicious and fun to eat! One of my favorite throw-together meals is taco salad.

best pre workout supplement 2012 said...

Looks yummy. I love black beans too. Thanks for sharing this yummy and easy to prepare food.

spcookiequeen said...

Nancy,
I'm excited for the foodbuzz fest, I hope to find you. I'm about an hour from you. Hope you have a great weekend. Love the nachos.
-Gina-

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Great Gina! I look forward to meeting you at Foodbuzz!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These look so awesome! I love black beans and especially nachos. I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Foodbuzz Festival!