Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 22, 2011

Pumpkin Brownies

Some days I wake up and am immediately in the mood for baking.  This occurs more often as autumn comes into view.  Maybe it's all the pumpkin recipes that are flooding the Food Network channel right now or maybe it's receiving the fall issues of my foodie magazines that are being delivered to my mailbox lately.  Well, whatever the reason, today was a day to try Pumpkin Brownies. 

You can add almost anything to brownies and call it good, right?!
















So, I hunkered down, made myself a homemade pumpkin spiced latte and got to mixin'.
I made my brownies from scratch, but if you're looking for a quicker version, you can use your favorite box brownie brand and substitute half the oil with pumpkin puree.  And if you're really wanting a low-fat brownie, substitute all of the oil with half applesauce and half pumpkin puree.

Here's what you need for success:
















Then at the last minute, I decided to add 1/2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice as well.















Melt the butter and mix in the sugar.















Add the pumpkin puree.















The eggs...















The vanilla extract......















Pumpkin pie spice......
















Powdered cocoa.......















Flour..........















Sea Salt.......















Baking powder......















After combined, pour into an 8 X 8 baking dish. 















Bake for 45 minutes......
















Take a bite of heaven......
















Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 cups white sugar
4 whole eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray non-stick spray on a 8 X 8 pan.  Melt butter, remove from heat and add ingredients in the order listed, stirring well by hand.
Bake for 45-47 minutes.  Do not over bake.

Notes:
You can substitute the 8 X 8 pan for a 9 X 13 and shorten the baking time to 25 - 30 minutes.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

13 comments:

Life, Family & Food said...

Oh My ! I am making this later tonight! YUM

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

YUM !!!! i have never heard of this..i LOVE it !!!

happy to see you today, my friend

kary and teddy from SLO
xx

Suz and Allan said...

You had me at pumpkin! This sounds wonderful!

Katie said...

Yum! Nancy, I wish I was there to eat a pumpkin brownie and drink a latte with you. Instead i'll just have to bake a pan for myself. :) Love this recipe.

Anonymous said...

So how much sugar???

kathleen.

k. said...

My Pumpkin Brownies are all pumpkin and no brownie (chocolate). Mmmm. Now I need dessert.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering how much sugar to put in? I cant wait to make these, I think I will send my son a batch at his dorm.Thank you so much. Kathy Bischoff

Sue said...

Anything "pumpkin" I am up for, and the brownies look and sound delicious. Just ike you this time of year just beckons me to the kitchen to bake something that smells so good. Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Those look so good- I sure do need to make something with pumpkins soon.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

WOOPS! 2 Cups of white sugar! I will update the post! Thanks for letting me know! ~nancy

The Weaver of Grass said...

We tend not to eat pumpkin here in the UK - they will not be in the shops until near to Hallowe'en, Even brownies are not all that common - I am not sure why because they are delicious.

TinaRBK said...

There are so many different types of brownies out there, but I do like the ones that are more cakey than fudgy. That would make these just right for my tastes. Lovely combo-pumpkin and cocoa. Thanks for sharing.

Ducky said...

Wow, this looks great! And you made it look easy ;)