Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 27, 2011

WW: Ladies Day at Deer Camp

Here in northern California, deer season lasts for six weeks from August to September.  Every weekend during the season, the men and the kids head to Deer Camp to hang out, eat, play cards, many sleep overnight and oh yes, hunt in the morning of course.  It's a multi-generational family tradition in most cases.

I've heard some of the older generation women describe themselves during the six weeks of deer season as being "Weekend Widows".  But in a bit, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  {The men don't read this blog, so they'll never find out}.  

 \














I'm pretty sure I can speak for all the women of this camp when I say, deer season rocks! When the men head over to camp at night for dinner, the kids are in tow.....they will not be left behind, they love it.

With this venue as their own personal playground, what's not to love?  They play on the tree swing, in the creek, hide and seek, there's even a rock climbing wall.  And dinner always involves some sort of juicy steak or hunk of meat with bread and probably potatoes as the vegetable.....I don't know, I don't ask.   I just know it's total "Man Food".

At this point, I believe the kids outnumber the adults.   So when Dominic heads over for dinner on the nights he's able, the kiddos change into their "camp clothes" and will not be left behind.  Boy, girl, ages three and up, there is no age limit when it comes to the dinner portion of of deer camp......you just can't be a woman.

Now don't get upset with that last statement,  it really is okay!  Because the women, we go out.  Six weeks of weekend bliss; no kids to feed dinner to, no whining to listen to, just good ol' girl time.  For six weeks!  Shhhhhh!















But alas, Deer Season 2011 came to a close on Sunday.  This is the day the women are invited into camp....no, not to clean up....... for lunch and to close out the season.













We had the chance to chat, eat some fantastic BBQ'd chicken and hang out.

Kind of a small crowd this year, many of the kids weren't able to make it and Dominic didn't come because he was working at the dairy.













Bryce found himself a hot dog and fruit salad before he headed back out to the creek with the pack of boys.

I loaded my plate with chicken, Leslie's, the bomb beans, salad, fruit and not sure who made the macaroni salad, but it was fabulous as well, all creamy and loaded with pickles, olives, parsley and pimentoes......just like Mom makes.  Such a treat for me.













Now counting down to Deer Season 2012.


Linking up Wordless {or Wordfull} Wednesday to:
Pinke Post
Project Alicia
Live and Love Out Loud


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i'm laughing here. glad you enjoyed your break while it lasted!!!

Michelle said...

Your version of deer season sounds great! lol

Unknown said...

Chris doesn't hunt but if we lived out there I would force him to - deer season sounds awesome!

Crystal Cattle said...

This sounds awesome. I hope you enjoyed your six weeks! I might have to enourage The Boy to take up hunting!
www.crystalcattle.com

Anonymous said...

How fun. Too cute.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

How fun. Everyone wins.

Katie said...

How did I know about Deer Camp? I'm coming to visit next season. We unfortunately don't have deer camp on the prairie. Everybody hunts deer. All together now. I'd rather have the camp!

Katie said...

How did NOT know I mean? It's late.

Farmchick said...

Sounds like fun!!! :) Come on over and say hi. :)