Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 17, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: How Does My Succulent Grow?

With our home on the farm being situated atop a hill and 20 miles from the coast, it can get quite windy.  As a matter of fact, in the photos below, you can see our American flag flying high in the background. So when I am at the gardening store choosing plants, I need to keep this fact in mind and opt for something on the hearty side. 

When my cousin was up visiting from southern California, he raved about the succulents he was growing in his containers back home.  They only need a good watering once a month and they're very low maintenance.  That's all I needed to hear before going out and buying a few myself.

My cousin was right, they are easy and I do love looking at them.  They sit on my front porch, atop a wine barrel, in the windiest area of our yard. 














I have no idea what the name of this succulent is, but it is so pretty with it's golden blooms.  I can't recommend succulents enough.













What's your favorite container plant?
Linking to The Little Round Table for This Week in my Garden

Wordless Wednesday Link Up with:
Project Alicia:  http://www.projectalicia.com/
The Pinke Post: http://pinkepost.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordless-wednesday-handmade-summer.html
Dagmar's Momsense: http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2011/05/wordless-wednesday-memory-lane
Better in Bulk

I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

21 comments:

Dar said...

I love succulents. I, too, just started growing a few last fall. Could yours be a Fosterianum or an Apache? I cannot wait to see mine in bloom. So far I have 8 varieties. There are thousands.
Mine survived a zone 3 winter...can you believe it?
BlessYourHeart

Buttons Thoughts said...

I love them they look so delicate but obviously very hardy, just like us farm women. Take care beautiful shots. B

Mustafa Şenalp said...

Çok Güzel Site. :)

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So pretty! Love the color. Visiting from the Week in My Garden...
Cindy

Sue said...

Beautiful succulent, my favorite container plant is wave petunias.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue

alicia said...

Just beautiful. Maybe I should try this. I seem to have a black thumb though.

Sian said...

So lovely. I am so getting into gardening at the moment.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

They are pretty! I will have to look for some.

An Authentic Life said...

We're just glad to see things beginning to turn GREEN here in Montana!!
Lovely shots, Nancy.

Sara said...

That's beautiful! My favorite container plant is anything that will stay alive. There's a good reason I take care of animals and not plants!

Sara said...

That's beautiful! My favorite container plant is anything that will stay alive. There's a good reason I take care of animals and not plants!

Sara said...

That's beautiful! My favorite container plant is anything that will stay alive. There's a good reason I take care of animals and not plants!

Elaine said...

Visiting via TLRT, and love the color contrast between your bloom and the sky. Our Virginia skies are an icky gray today, so your blue is even more inviting! I have to admit I peeked a bit through your other posts, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

Joyti said...

Succulents seems very popular these days. They're lovely, I think unappreciated in previous years?
That yellow-flowered one is very pretty!

Candy @ The Little Round Table said...

Thanks so much for joining the garden party! Such pretty images too. My guess is that your succulent might be an Aeonium.

Candy

Linda said...

Terrific wordless wednesday work!!

Prairie Rose said...

Oh!
How pretty and interesting!
I will check it out the next time I am in the nursery:)

The Country Cook said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!! I wanted to stop by and say thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I've been a facebook fan of yours for a while now. Love your blog!

Valentina@baby quilts said...

I spent the winter months down in Mexico which coincides with the Mexican 5-6 months long dry season. Planted in the garden, succulents have absolutely no problem surviving the drought and I love them for that.

shannon i olson said...

what a beautiful vibrant color! I love the few succulents I have too.

CatCat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.