Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 2, 2011

Snowball Tree in California

About as close to snowballs we get here in northern California is the Snowball Tree.  We have one on the ranch and it belongs to my mother and father-in-law.  While much of the Midwest is getting some spring snow storms, we are fortunate enough to be enjoying spring weather in the high 70's....finally. 

The Snowball Tree sits in the ground in my in-law's yard along the fence line that I drive by numerous times every day.  It blooms in the spring and this year, late spring rains haven't washed the snowballs from the tree as has happened in previous years.















I think I enjoy this tree so much because the Hydrangea is my favorite flowering plant and this tree reminds me of them. 













The blooms are about the size of a baseball or smaller and form in clusters.  New blooms have a slight greenish cast and then they turn white.













I'm not sure how old the tree is, but it's quite large.  About 12 feet, I'd say.  I'm happy to enjoy it's beauty on a daily basis:)














Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Just click on the “Post a Comment” link below {if you view through a ‘reader’ only}.
Have a peaceful day.

Pin It

15 comments:

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i love snowball trees too. and i love hydrangeas. maybe i need to plant one, was thinking of a dogwood. either way, i need to get going before the hot weather sets in!

TexWisGirl said...

they are beauties! glad you have one to throw snowballs your way!

Michelle said...

We have these in my small town area, but not one on my farm...

Linda said...

Interesting tree, I've never heard of one before but then it's probably way too cold in the winter for them to survive here.

Sarah said...

Beautiful!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Leontien said...

haha snowball tree!!! I was looking at the pics and i was thinking that really doesn't look like snow! haha

oh well blond me...

Thanks and yes i is a very lovely three!

Leontien

Heather @ 3 kids and lots of pigs said...

I've never seen one, but it most definitely reminds me of the hydrangea which is my favorite too. Thanks for the sharing such beautiful pictures.

Dar said...

Our Hydrangea do not show their beautiful heads until late Sept. so this was a real treat.
As for that snow, it flurried all day again...so tired of it., tho our plants are finally just barely peeking through the ground. Maybe spring will come yet, but in the mean time, I do believe that Ma Nature has PMS.
BlessYourHappyHeart

Southern Gal said...

These are so close to hydrangeas which I love. Our zoo has Chinese Snowballs there. Last year was the first time I had seen one there. Beautiful blooms.

red.neck chic said...

Now THAT is my kind of snowball!!! Does it smell gorgeous? Oh... I'd have snowballs all over my house. LOL

;-D robelyn
(It's SO nice to meet you!!!)

Sara said...

Oh wow! That is beautiful! I love hydrangeas too, just a cute little bunch of delicate flowers. Thanks for sharing :)

Debbie said...

Have never seen one of these before, but can see why you love it. It's gorgeous! I love hydrangeas too, and your right, it really does look like them.

bon bon said...

hey thanks! someone in our little town has one and i never knew what it was called!

The Weaver of Grass said...

We have snowball bushes here too and i agree they are very pretty. We do have the real stuff as well though.

Anonymous said...

asd