Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 5, 2011

Mint Julep for the Kentucky Derby

Have you tried a Mint Julep?  I have, once.  I'm not much of a bourbon drinker but when I was at a Kentucky Derby party many years ago, the host offered up Mint Juleps as the party cocktail of choice to go along with the two minute horse race we were about to watch. 

I liked them.  Must be the combination of mint, sugar and water that take the bite out of the bourbon for me.

If you're having a Kentucky Derby party, or even if you're not, a Mint Julep is worth a try.

The mint julep has been promoted by Churchill Downs in association with the Kentucky Derby since 1938. Each year almost 120,000 juleps are served at Churchill Downs over the two day period of the Kentucky Oaks and the Kentucky Derby.

Here is Food Network's version for you........














Ingredients
4 cups bourbon
2 bunches fresh spearmint
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

Directions
To prepare mint extract, remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl. Cover with 3 ounces bourbon. Allow the leaves to soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in paper toweling. Thoroughly wring the mint over the bowl of whisky. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.

To prepare simple syrup, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Stir constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.

To prepare mint julep mixture, pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.

Now begin adding the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture. Each batch of mint extract is different, so you must taste and smell after each tablespoon is added. You are looking for a soft mint aroma and taste-generally about 3 tablespoons. When you think it's right, pour the whole mixture back into the empty liter bottle and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to "marry" the flavors.

To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a spring of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.

When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.

Cheers!

Recipe and photo from Food Network

Do you watch the Kentucky Derby??

I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, you can click on the “Post a Comment” link below to do {this only works if viewing through a reader}.
Have a peaceful day.





Pin It

9 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

When I was 32 weeks preggo w/ the twins we went to the beach and our friends were making mint juleps. I'd never had one before, but I couldn't drink of course. So I just took one sip of my hubby's to see how it tasted. I did like it.

Cathy said...

Looks Yummy. I fancy the Mojito minty drink myself. Something about mint makes drinks so yummy!

Hoosier Farm Babe said...

I hosted a Derby party a few years ago and we made Mint Juleps! I hate to say it, but I thought they were gross! We couldn't even finish our drinks before we switched it up for beers! LOL!

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

I've never had a Mint Julep nor have I ever been to a Derby party. I need to get on this train! ;)

bon bon said...

i had a sip once but that was it. not much of a drinker beyond a glass of wine now and then.

i LOVE watching the derby though! the triple crown stakes are the only sporting events watched at our house.

Leah Beyer said...

Ah, the julep...Giddy up. Get your hats ready for the fun, quick race!!

Michelle said...

They are quite tasty and Makers Mark is the Bourbon of choice here. The distillery is only about an hour away from my farm. We always watch the race. I was even checking the horses today.

Kristin H said...

Sounds so good:)

Kristin H said...

Sounds so good:)