Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

June 9, 2011

Gavin's 'Lap Calf'

Our local county fair is just two weeks away and let me tell you, little Emma, the dairy calf is ready.  My nephew, Gavin, is showing Emma at the fair so he's been spending time at the ranch and working with her and his other heifer, Bella. 

Emma leads really well and is SUCH a sweetheart.  Gavin and I coined a new phrase {it's what we do at the calf barn along with naming every calf}.... 'Lap Calf ', because that's just what Emma is or would be if we let her.

My kids are still in school this week so I had a fun time hanging out with Gavin at the calf barn.  I really got to see Gavin's love for cows and calves come shining through.

"Say Cheese" says Gavin to Emma..........and LOOK, she did!



If only we could house-potty train Emma, wouldn't that be something?!

Stay tuned for updates on how Emma and Gavin do at the fair!


I need your help friends, please click here to vote for Rocky Road ice cream in the Progressive Dairyman Face Off!  With every vote, your name can be entered to win $100 in free ice cream!!    Thanks for your support!

If you missed out on what this challenge is all about, click on Face Off Challenge for an explanation!

For your viewing, the road to Rocky Road~



Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you!. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh that is sweet!

ann said...

good thing the calf is a heifer no selling her.

Sarah said...

There's nothing in the world like a livestock show! Our county fair is the same time as yours. Compared to the beef show, the dairy show is always so calm and quiet. I love it! Good luck to Gavin!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Sarah, I have yet to attend a beef show and you're right about the dairy show...very calm and quiet. I plan on checking out the beef show this year:) Thank you!

@ann, yep Emma isn't going anywhere!

Michelle said...

They do look sweet together.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting - I am getting your calf photo on my side bar but when I visit your site there is no photo. The wonders of blogger.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How sweet! now I want a lap calf!

Sue said...

Oh! my goodness, Emma and Gavin are adorable, just loved these photos so much, and brought back so many memories.
your video of the road to Rocky Road was great too!
I have said it before, a farm is the best place for children. Thanks for sharing your life at the farm.
Sue

Katie said...

That's the first lap calf I've seen! Good Luck Gavin and Emma!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Sue, thank you so much! So glad the pics brought back memories for you:)

@Katie, the next time you're out, you'll have to meet Emma in person:)

Anonymous said...

That put a great big SMILE FOR MILES on my face... loved it! =) And 'lap calf' & the pics of him w/ Emma is toooo cuuute... priceless!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Aren't dairy cows sooo sweet?? Emma looks huge to me! I forget how much bigger the Holsteins really are than the Jerseys!

Jessica said...

Emma is a perfect example of why I can't eat beef...cows are too cute and sweet!!! :)