Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

June 10, 2010

Our West Marin Morning

What a beautiful morning out in West Marin today!  Dominic and our friend John, who sits on the Marin County Farm Bureau board with Dominic, had an informal meeting with the new Superintendent of Pt. Reyes National Seashore, Cicely Muldoon in Pt. Reyes Station.  While they were having breakfast, the kids and I met Karen (John's wife) and their daughter, Eva for coffee and a park play date.

We stopped in the Tomales Bay Foods building at the Cowgirl Cantina counter to grab a coffee.  Also located within the the restored barn, we visited Cowgirl Creamery where they were in the process of making some cheese.  The kids loved watching this process.




The milk truck had just pulled up outside do deliver some fresh, organic milk from nearby Straus Dairy.


Inside, they have a viewing window where you can watch the actual cheese making process.

Here's another room (photo taken through a screen door) where they were making little rounds of cheese.....maybe some of their blue cheese.


There are various other shops that sell local produce and goods within the building.

There is also a cheese counter where you can sample and purchase cheese.

Many of Cowgirl Creamery cheeses have won awards, including Best of Show at the 2003 American Cheese Society competition for their Red Hawk.  Lots to choose from at the counter.


I ordered my cappuccino from the Cowgirl Cantina, which by the way, was the BEST cappuccino I have  had since visiting Portugal seven years ago!  SO creamy and delicious! I have a feeling I'll be making additional morning trips out to Pt. Reyes Station in the summer weeks to come.  It was that good!

Cowgirl Cantina is a gourmet deli and wine shop located at one end of the building.  So if you ever find yourself out in Pt. Reyes Station and crave an espresso drink or are headed out to the beach and need picnic supplies, be sure to stop by Tomales Bay Foods, you'll find everything you need.

Happy Thursday!
Pin It

5 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I love cheese and love making it- I love tasting it and I love seeing others make it- what a fun day.

Sofia's Ideas said...

Fantastic pictures! Looks like a day well spent.

I'm now following you through MBC 100 Club.
Come visit me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

Sofia's Ideas

Unknown said...

I've never been out to Tomales Bay Foods,, looks like a good spot to check out, thanks for sharing. I love Cowgirl Creamery Cheeses, I like the Mt. Tam.

polwig said...

Great day... I wish it was closer and I could spend a day with kiddos at Cowgirl Cremery. The cheese looks amazing.

Robin @ Blommi said...

This looks like a wonderful spot it visit.

Now following from MBC.